Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hi que or webber grate,,,,

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some advice. I have been reading here about the hi que grate, seems it brings the egg to temp quicker. Would one the grates from a Weber do the same thing. Being the the original grate is tapered, does the hi que fit snug. Would the webber do the same. Also I have heard of people using paper underneath the grate to start the egg?? Does that work ok?  I see Amazon has Hi que for $32. Seems like a bit of money for it.
For you that have the Q are you still happy with it?
Any other suggestions to replace the stock grate? 
Others are saying no more wiggle rods, that sound like less work, I think that is a good idea. To sum it up, is the hi que worth it??
Thanks
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Not sure the Weber would hold up to the high temps of a hot cook on the egg.  You may find one that fits, just don't think they are designed for that level of heat.  High-Que is, and I heard nothing but happy customers.   
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Not a direct answer to your ? but the Hi Que has been around for around a year? and the BGE for many, many more-I am quite satisfied with the performance of the BGE with the OEM grate and have yet to need a wiggle rod to keep the fire going.  If speed to temp is the desired result then there must be less expensive ways to get there?  Just an observation-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    The Weber 14.5" small table top kettle has a briquette grate that measures about 10" and it would set just below the air holes in a large Egg. It is a little to large in my opinion and it is only about 1/2 the thickness of the High Q, I, also don't think it would last with the high temp.. I just got my High Q and it works great.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    You guys are spending my money for me... ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I would say you can easily go back to your significant other and say we saved you from wasting money on first buying the webber and then when it gets destroyed going out and buying the high que anyway.  Just send me a check for half of the cost of the webber grate and we can call it even.
  • billyray
    Options
    Send me one for the other half :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just ordered my 4th one and gave away my original ones to a friend. I think I like them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I have had my high que for two weeks now and I'm glad I purchased it. I have started to use newspaper or paper towels with a little vegetable oil to light. Heats up real quick. I no longer stir my used lump, just add a little new lump. I clean the ash out before each use as I have read that any small pieces that fall through will burn with each cook and I have found that advice to be true. Haven't tried a low and slow with it yet.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • KingRover
    Options
    I have the high-que for my large. I use newspaper, works faster than then starter cubes, gets hot faster (but obviously not as fast as mapp torch, golf club). Little pieces fall through, but you can just throw them back in.
    Yes it's 32$, but I figure it's something you're going to use every time you cook. No more wiggle rods.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I have four Hi-Ques on my two larges, small and mini.  If BGE offered these and the Rutland gasket as standard equipment they would have a perfect out of the box cooker.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I love mine. Have them on both my larges and they work great!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • billyray
    Options

BOWHUNR

I agree, put these on, charge what you need too and you have a great product. Mothership, please read.

• jmsmrdk
    Options
    mine should be here soon. for the medium and the mini.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Ok I am ordering one for my large. Irish Devil and Billy Ray cheques on the way. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • billyray
    Options
    I'll hold my breath!
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    love mine, and to be honest once i put it in i was able to achieve a much longer and more controlled burn. No dust, no ash stuck with the lump, no clogging, no cleaning in between cooks, heats up faster, breathes well. I don't really have a negative, other than BGE should come factory with these and higher temp gaskets as mentioned above.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    I have been using the weber grate for probably two dozen high temp cooks. It has held up very well, and for seven bucks I took the chance. 

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • grillinmike
    Options
    would someone tell me what size round rod the high que is made of
  • Fellow Traveler
    Options
    I have an xl bge and high q does not make a grate for it. I called them and he suggested I try a we've 17"fire grate. Purchased one and did a brisket low and slow. It works great.
  • JNJGoeders
    JNJGoeders Posts: 90
    Options
    What size Hi que for a MiniMax?? I think I need one after reading this thread!
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Hi-que on large BGE and on KJ Jr.
    Love them both.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    The grid is great as people said.  To add what was already stated, it is a lot easier and better  for my pizza cooks as well because of the greater airflow.  You will not regret your decision.   

Once it arrives, remember that you will need to adjust your "normal" bottom vent settings for any temperature by a fair amount. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Hi-que on large BGE and on KJ Jr.
    Love them both.
    I've got the Hi-Que on my KJ Jr. but as soon as the Kick Ash Basket for the Jr is available later this year the Hi-Que will likely become a paperweight.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk