Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

travelling Egg

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to safely transport my large egg for a long weekend of delicious eggsperiences?

It's tough enough removing it from the nest...

Comments

• jmsmrdk
    Options
    I put my medium in the backseat and buckle it in,taking everything but the firebox and ring out.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I am in the process of building a table for my large BGE and I will have to remove the egg from it's nest. Is it really that difficult to do? I was at work when the guys from the store I bought my egg from set it up so I didn't really see the process.
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    I am in the process of building a table for my large BGE and I will have to remove the egg from it's nest. Is it really that difficult to do? I was at work when the guys from the store I bought my egg from set it up so I didn't really see the process.
    It's an unwieldy 175 lbs or whatever it is. 

I'm really looking for travel solutions in the bed of a truck or on hitch hauler - no room inside the truck for the egg.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I took my XL to a competition a while back.  Took the guts out and strapped it in the corner of my pickup truck. Then stuck one of my BBQ gloves inbetween the lid and base and strapped the lid down.  No problems at all.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I would be scared to death to put the egg in the back of a truck or in a car for that matter. I would think that you would want to build a quick crate out of 2 x 4's to put it in so it wouldn't roll around. Btw I am getting a little freaked out now about removing my egg from it's nest. I just thought me and a friend could just grab it and pull it out of the nest and simply put it into the table
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    If i was going to put it the truck bed my main objective would be padding under it.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    @ Mike8it
    It's not as big a job as it seems. Two people no problem. I unloaded mine, straddled the hole and set it in. With the dome off you can reach in and grab the vent hole. Unloaded, it's not a big deal.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Options
     I just thought me and a friend could just grab it and pull it out of the nest and simply put it into the table
    No reason why you can't do just that.  I've moved my XL around many times.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I travel with an Egg in the back of my pickup often. We just take it out of the nest and lift up onto the tailgate, then slide it all the way in so the back of the hinge is against the front of the bed, and strap it in to pull it against the wall of your bed.

Many thousands of miles with no issues.
    Happy travels!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Like Nature Boy, I have carried mine in the bed of my truck some. It is easier without a toolbox for sure. I just take the guts out and put foam between the egg and the bed liner the ratchet strap her in. If it rains, open the dome and put a large trash bag over it then close lid. Nothing too difficult.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    I would be scared to death to put the egg in the back of a truck or in a car for that matter. I would think that you would want to build a quick crate out of 2 x 4's to put it in so it wouldn't roll around. Btw I am getting a little freaked out now about removing my egg from it's nest. I just thought me and a friend could just grab it and pull it out of the nest and simply put it into the table
    you can.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2012
    Options
    We deliver assembled Eggs to our customers all the time in our pick-up.  We take the internal parts out and place inside the backseat of the cab.  Then we strap the hinge flush to the tailgate down to the hitch.  Never had a problem.  XL Eggs we assemble at the customer's home because of the weight.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BGElovr
    Options
    I travel with an Egg in the back of my pickup often. We just take it out of the nest and lift up onto the tailgate, then slide it all the way in so the back of the hinge is against the front of the bed, and strap it in to pull it against the wall of your bed.

Many thousands of miles with no issues.

Happy travels!

Chris

This is the way I've logged many miles with my medium. No worries here.
  • paulheels
    Options
    I attatch the BGE wings to the EGG,  then I drink a Red Bull.  Now we both have wings!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.