Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork

Options
bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited February 2012 in Pork
I have read many posts concerning "pulled pork".  What is special with pulled pork; flavor , texture, taste, etc?  Is there a different flavor than sliced? 

Thank You,
Phil

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Yesterdays PP cook:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I only sliced pork butts. I cook them turbo style during the day. My beauty sleep is more important. There isn't and difference in flavor.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • bamafan62
    Options
    Thank you.  What is s"turbo style"?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Higher heat, shorter cook time.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Instead of doing a low and slow dome 250 to internal temp of 195 to 200 (an overnighter) I do it at 350 to 375 to internal 160 to 170 during the day. If I cook it to 195 I will refrigerate and slice the next day.
  • bamafan62
    Options
    thank you very much.
  • paulheels
    Options
    flavor is going to be similar.  texture will be a little different.  Pulled pork is better for piling high and saucing up. Personally i am not a fan of sliced pork shoulder.  I guess its the Carolina boy in me.  
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Paul heels, sliced can be piled high and sauced if sliced very thin and your right it's the texture that is a little different.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you .... but I just love popping tender morsels in my mouth while pulling ... it is the moistest, most tender, and flavorful pork you'll ever eat! It's a slow downhill ride from flavortown the longer it sits ... It's all worth it to me!!!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • paulheels
    Options
    @granny. I know it can be. But it just aint the same darling.
    @sqeezy. I usually can't even eat at the right time cause I have "opinionated" the product while pulling!
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • GrannyX4
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Paulheels, your right it's not the same. Good either way you cut it.
    ;;)