Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The rite of passage - Splatchcock Chicken

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Someone earlier this week prompted me that I had never tried chicken with this method.   Last night I did.

Was absolutely wonderful - will not go back to the roasting rack.

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• boatbum
    Options

This turned into Pizza - along with a brisket pizza with the last of my leftovers from my last brisket.  No pics of the pizza - was too busy cooking and eating.

I used the parchment paper for the Pizza this time - worked wonderfully.

Cookin in Texas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Doing a spatchcock this afternoon on BGE raised grid extender. Planning to put a tray of potatoes, peppers, and onions underneath to cook in the chicken drippings. Should I still go raised direct, or you think the direct heat will be too hot on the veggies? Veggies will be in a throw away foil tray.

Chicken looks great, Boatbum. I will post some pics of mine tonight.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I see you have signed up for Salado. It will be good to meet you in March. Are you going to bring your Kilt? Sounds like about a doz going in kilts.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boatbum
    Options

Waiting to see how windy its going to be...  Sometimes in March that north wind can be brutal...

Cookin in Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Planning to put a tray of potatoes, peppers, and onions underneath to cook in the chicken drippings. Should I still go raised direct, or you think the direct heat will be too hot on the veggies? Veggies will be in a throw away foil tray.

Chicken looks great, Boatbum. I will post some pics of mine tonight.
    I did this with an upright chicken, and in a thicker pie pan, not a foil tray, and yes the veggies were pretty much toast...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month