Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan question

Options
Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking 3 butts this weekend. Going indirect with drip pan. Question is : do you put any liquid in the pan or just let the juices flow ??

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Memphis,[p]I put two beers in the drip pan, but I don't really know why. I just do. [p]HTH
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Memphis,
    suit yourself - I used to pour in 50/50 apple juice and water and then use apple clips for smoke. After a couple years I tried without liquid and couldn't tell any difference so I'v enever gone back to any liquid.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Memphis,[p]I put the drip pan in dry. I have done pulled pork several times and each time, it has come out well.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Memphis,
    I asked a similar question a few years ago and I recall someone saying the purpose of the drip pan is to catch grease droppings before they start to burn and smell up the meat like smoking wood does. That made sense to me so I just use plain water and make sure that it always has water in it. The one time I let the water boil out, the grease drippings hardened and smelled terrible. The meat tasted terrible too. [p]Spring "Seen The Light" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    A waste of perfectly good beers ... I leave mine empty and drink the beer. The pork puts out enough juice to take care of of the pan - eventually.[p]

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Kyle,
    I'm part of the dry drip pan group ... I put all my flavor in the product not the water.[p]

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I agree, plain water so the drippings don't burn.

• Unknown
    Options
    Memphis,
    I don't use a drip. I fold foil so the drippings don't run outside and onto the fire. I don't use liquid and it turns out fine. When I am finished, the foil goes in the trash and no pan to clean. [p]Jerry

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Memphis,
    I use a drip pan with either a port wine, because the alcohol will vaporize, and I like the taste that the residual port adds to the meat.
    Otherwise, I use apple juice.
    Hammer