Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What the heck did I just eat?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
edited February 2012 in Pork
Yesterday after work I picked up a package of spare ribs for the Egg today. Took them out of the frig this morning and noticed I couldn't see any of the bone ends on either side, I had to cut the rack in half and so just guessed where the bones might be, missed em! Put on some Dizzy Pig rub, got the Egg stabilized, and threw them on for four hours @ 250F. 
Cooked up some rice and kale, then went out to grab the ribs. Normally you can tell they're done when the bone ends are sticking out about 1/2", but they weren't, at all. :think: I poked the meat with my finger, they felt done, so I took them in. After resting I still couldn't find the bone ends, so just started cutting them, and there aren't any bones in them!They look exactly like spareribs, they taste just like them, but no bones other than a few small "knuckles" that you see in regular spare ribs.
Certainly a lot easier to eat, but what the heck did I have, any ideas? Is this the cut of meat they make McRib sandwiches out of?

EDIT: gotta tell you the new recipe I tried for the kale: fry one slice of bacon in a wok until very crispy, remove drain and crumble. Leave the bacon grease in the wok, raise heat to High, saute a smashed garlic clove for 30 seconds, then add half a bunch of kale, chopped. Stir fry a few minutes, then add a 1/4 cup water and immediately lid. Steam for 5 minutes, then remove the cover and keep heat on High until you hear the last of the water sizzle away, toss in a splash of balsamic vinegar and some grated parmesan, toss and eat. Dang that was good!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the McRib is made outta something besides a whole cut of anything. Could they have been the tail end of whole spares? No bone but a little grissle or cartilage in places.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Could they have been something called country-style ribs?

Gerhard

McRibs are reconstituted meat.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    It could be the Famous Krusty Burger Ribwich..

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Gerhard may be right. There are boneless cow try style ribs. What did the package say?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Damn iPad. Country style, not cow try. Sorry.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Thanks guys.  The pkg said "Spareribs" but it is sounding like I got some "country-style" ribs.  Tasty nonetheless!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A market near me sells something the call boneless baby back ribs. Evidently, its the meat trimmed away from the bones, some portion of loin. About the right shape for a smaller section of spares, with some connective tissue. But cooks a little more like pork chop.
  • paulheels
    Options
    A market near me sells something the call boneless baby back ribs. Evidently, its the meat trimmed away from the bones, some portion of loin. About the right shape for a smaller section of spares, with some connective tissue. But cooks a little more like pork chop.
    That is not baby back.  EVER!  Ribs aint ribs if there aint no bones, damn it.  Country ribs are shoulder strips.  great when cooked low and slow like pulled pork.  just not as long.  

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Regarding your kale.. use chicken stock instead of water... much better