Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Cook

Options
hsh750
hsh750 Posts: 30
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have had my large BGE for about 6 months now. I have done steaks. pork loins, pizza, burgers, and sausage dogs. But I am planing on doing a Boston Butt for Super Bowl. I just want to make sure my planning and thinking is on target here. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I have been on this forum now for a few weeks to get new and improved ideas.

I have a 9lb bone in butt. I have already applied my Rub and wrapped the bowl in HDAF and put in the fridge. I will fill the fire box with the BGE Lump CC and light with the dry starter sticks at about 11:00 pm on Saturday night. Once I get the temp adjusted to about 300 F dome temp with the place setter legs up and drip pan sitting on 4 jar lids and the grill on top of the PS legs, I will put the butt directle on the grill with the fat side up. Close the dome and have a few more drinks to baby sit the temp gage to hover at 300 F. Then off to bed. Typical Sunday morning coffee at 5:30 am. Then check the Temp. to make sure that the 300 F hasa been retained. At about 12:00 pm open the dome and check the internal meat temp. which I expect to be at about 160 - 165. I will then bump the heat to about 350 F dome temp. till 3:00 pm then check for a 195 - 200 internal temp. then take butt and wrap in HDAF and towel in cooler for about an hour. Unwrap and pull and serve at about game time.

Any suggestions or changes? The only thing I am not sure of is adding some wood chunks. What kind and when to add?

If I am on the right track here please chime in.

I plan on cooking Baked Beans in Dutch oven and a Peach cobbler in Dutch oven after removing the Butt.

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I'm guessing it will finish faster at 300 then bumping up to 350. The timing you have planned out seems more like 250 to me.

I like cherry and pecan with butts.... I mix chunks throughout the lump so the fire finds them as the cook progresses.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    What time are you needing it ready? By my calcs. at 3pm it would have been on for around 15.5 hours for a 9lb butt. Like MQ said with your temp it may cook a little faster. I guess what I'm saying is it may be ready at 3 and it may not. Better to finish early than late. If you are planning on more overnight cooks I would highly recommend a good thermometer. Might want to give it a check during the night also.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • hsh750
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I just do not want to loose it over night. I have used the old smokers over night but never done the green egg over night. Just do not want to have to worry about losing it during the night.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    the higher temp really won't negatively effect your finished product....double wrap in HDAF and a couple towels in a cooler when done and that baby will be hot for hours.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Yes without having a temp gauge with an alarm, I would def take a peek at it during the night.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited February 2012
    Options
    One thing I found on my first was after I had the temp stable, I added a drip pan ect and the temp was off. I would get everything other than just the meat and get the temp stable for a good hour before adding the meat. The first time I figured 45 min - 1 hour to light and stablize and it took me 2 hours for all that. FWIW

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• hsh750
    Options
    I want to sit down and eat at game time. Just want to make sure it is ready early. Dont want to be rushing at
  • bsgator
    Options
    How many hours per lb. do you all figure for a butt? I have seen times from 30 mins- 2 hrs per pound even at 225-250 degrees dome. What do you all recommend because I too am planning my first butt for the game. Thanks
  • paulheels
    Options
    @bgator I do mine at 275, 1- 1.5 hrs / lb. there will probably be quite a few different answers, try all of them. Find what works best for you.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • hsh750
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Fire started at 7:00pm. Butt on at 7:30. Temp at 250 and holding fine. Drink time!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

Wow, all you chefs cook them so long.  I usually get 5-6lb boneless picnic butts. I rub them with a little oil, corriander, crushed bayleaf, fresh garlic and some other stuff  (think porchetta style) and wrap in cling wrap tight overnight for a good night rest. To eat at 5 PM, I put them on at 8:00 AM and cook at a calibrated 240 dome. I also have a remote thermometer to monitor meat temp which is put in before on the egg. Then, about noon I start monitoring meat temp ever 15 mins and after 1.2 - 2 hrs, I get a average rate to get an idea of when it will be done. I might get very short stall, but never one that lasts hours like you read here. Never, and I have done 2 dozen butt cooks easily.  By 3:00 I will know exactly when I will hit 195 which is when I pull it from the egg.  If I need to eat at a specific time, I adjust the temp accordingly, lower to slow it and higher to speed it up a bit. It always turns out great, is juicy and falls apart.

Maybe I am just lucky.?.?

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • hsh750
    Options
    Well I took everyone's advice and started the butt at about 7:30 last night. I set my alarm and got up and checked the dome temp periodicaly during the night. At about 3am the dome temp had jumped up from a steady 250 to about 325 or so. I guess because of a little wind that picked up during the night. I got it back down to 250 and holding. Checked again at 5am and the dome temp had dropped off to about 175. The wind had died! Meat temp was at about 170. I checked the meat temp at 9:30 and it was at 200. Removed the butt and wrapped in foil and placed it in cooler. Plenty of time to get it pulled for a 5:30 meal. Closed the vents down. Will re light at about 2 for baked beans and cobbler. I will post pics as soon as I can figure out how. Pics on phone not computer.
    Thanks for all the advice and help. Looking forward to more big cooks.
  • hogaholic
    Options
    You are cooking smaller butts than I do (and most others I suspect). 

I butts from Sam's in 2-packs.  The two I put on last night combined to weigh 18.65 lbs.  One was slightly bigger than the other.  You aren't cooking those 8-10 pounders at 250 dome in 7 hours to a finished temp of 200. 

No way.

Wow, all you chefs cook them so long.  I usually get 5-6lb boneless picnic butts. I rub them with a little oil, corriander, crushed bayleaf, fresh garlic and some other stuff  (think porchetta style) and wrap in cling wrap tight overnight for a good night rest. To eat at 5 PM, I put them on at 8:00 AM and cook at a calibrated 240 dome. I also have a remote thermometer to monitor meat temp which is put in before on the egg. Then, about noon I start monitoring meat temp ever 15 mins and after 1.2 - 2 hrs, I get a average rate to get an idea of when it will be done. I might get very short stall, but never one that lasts hours like you read here. Never, and I have done 2 dozen butt cooks easily.  By 3:00 I will know exactly when I will hit 195 which is when I pull it from the egg.  If I need to eat at a specific time, I adjust the temp accordingly, lower to slow it and higher to speed it up a bit. It always turns out great, is juicy and falls apart.

Maybe I am just lucky.?.?

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • hsh750
    Options

Sorry for taking so long to post pictures. But here are some from the Super Bowl Cook (First ever Butt).

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage