Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Osage orange any good?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have several air dried chunks of osage orange wood aka hedge apple. Is that any good for smoking? I had been planning to carve it due to it's unique color, buy hey if it will work in the BGE it's a sacrifice I'd gladly make to Sir Humpty!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    one feral kat, carve it!!

I read somewhere that it's taboo for salad bowl's due to its toxic nature (woodworking magazine).
    And if the oils are that toxic to produce diahrea, upset stomachs ect. from wooden bowl food preparations, then I sure don't want its fumes for smokin wood. Others may differ!
    Char-Woody

• Char-Woody, thankee for your past reading! I kinda wondered since folks around here swear that when they place the "fruit" of the hedge apple tree in their basements and crawl spaces that no critter with more than two legs will go near that part of their humble abode! ^oo^~

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    one feral kat,[p]"Go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained."[p]I guess there's something to be said for the cliche' that curiosity killed the cat. I would shy away from woods that are known to be poisonous. Thanks CW for the information.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    one feral kat, Your welcome...the Osage Indians had the best use for it (Osage Orange = Hedgeapple) in bows and arrows..White man decided it would make good fence posts. Both were right..fence post still stands after 100 years in dirt. No rot.
    I had a 4"x4"x12 inch piece that I was going to cut a Perigine falcon out of, and it slices nicely for carving. But the wood turns a icky dull brown after aging, and hard to put a finish on it.
    Cheers..C~W