Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Difference Between The Dome Thermostat and The Grate Temperature?

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody know approximately what the difference in temperature is between the Dome Thermostat and the actual temperature at the grate? Considering that the Dome Thermostat is calibrated.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173

With indirect cooks-the dome will read anywhere from 20-40+*F higher than the grid when getting going due to the air circulation around the deflector.  The longer the dome is shut the closer the temperatures between grid and dome will come to equilibrium.  So over the long low&slows there isn't a whole lot of delta T between the two in my experiences. 

For Direct cooks the grate will read higher due to the radiant heat from the burning lump.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Depends on many variables. Direct, indirect, etc. and even then it varies. Generally though on an indirect cook, your dome temp is 20 to 40 degrees higher. Some say it gets closer the longer the cook.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Beat me to the punch
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I found a lot of parameters affect difference.  I had a 75 degree difference last week when I first started.  How you preheat your egg, platesetter for indirect, water pan, cold meat, whatever, can influence how much difference there is.  I use dome gauge to get me in the park temp wise then fine tune with grate temp.  I watch both during cook and the dome will gradually work closer to the grate temp, but in my experience so far the 2 where never equal.  I agree with the 20-30 degree higher dome temp once everything inside is climatized.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited February 2012

I posted this in another thread, but after just recieving my Maveric for Christmas I have done 2 pork butt cooks and the dome temp started out about the same as grate temp, but after a few hours the grate temp was HIGHER not lower than the dome temp.  This was the same for both cooks.  I was using an adjustable rig and the grate was on the highest level which is about 2" above the felt line.  This may have something to do with it.

George

George