Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for forum moderator

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Quick question, not sure who or how best to contact.

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If you don't hear from someone, an email to forumabuse@biggreenegg.com will get to someone who can help you. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • boatbum
    Options

thanks Whiz,  haven't heard anything directly yet.

No problem just posting my question here - probably would have been better to start with.

I recently was reading through a friends old cookbook that was published by a Farm magazine in the 1950's.  It was a compilation of recipes from the rural midwest that dated back several years.    Included in a section was portion on how to cook bbq for large groups - 25 to 1000.   Uses a pit in the ground - length determined by number of people to be fed.  Includes directions for how to cut up a FULL Side of beef -- all the way down to how to set up the serving lines to feed 500.

I enjoyed reading it - was thinking others on here might as well.   Before I went to the trouble of reproducing, getting it online - wanted to find out if it was ok to post?   This is copyrighted material ( 1959).   Is it ok if I include the copyright notifications?

Cookin in Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If it is still truly copyrighted, then no it isn't ok to post here.  Not to say that if you do it that any action will be taken.  But including the copyright or the source doesn't change the fact that you cannot reproduce copyrighted material outside of fair use rules without the permission of the copyright holder.  Then there is the forum rule that prohibits posting copyrighted material.

The question though really is if the copyright still exists.  According to Wikipedia, something published in 1959 has a 28 year copyright protection, but the copyright could have been renewed and it would still be under copyright.  You'd have to know if it had been renewed.  Under the principle of ignorance is bliss, I'd assume that a cookbook published by a farm magazine that probably doesn't exist anymore did not have its copyright renewed.  Let them prove otherwise....  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • boatbum
    Options

Googled some - the book is all over the internet for sale.   1959 Farm Journal Cookbook.

I did find a lot of places where people had reposted recipes from the book on other sites.   When I read it - started thinking about what we discuss everyday.   This was discussing how to divide up the side of beef after deboning.   In essence, they took a side of beef and cut it down to rolls or chunks 4 to 8 inches.   

The trench was 3 foot deep, 2 feet wide - length was dependant on number of people.   When you got to 600 people or so, the recommendation was to start a second trench.    Burn down hardwood for 8 hours, cover the coals with dry sand, wrap the meat lay it on the sand - then cover with dirt for 10 hours or so.

The wording/language is very mid 20th century - tasks were divided into the Men's category and the Women's category.

I dunno - does anyone think there is enough interest?

Cookin in Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    used to go every year to an event called "bean-hole beans".  old car show (drove their in my dad's '35 Ford Woodie) and picnic.  they'd start the night before, dig a hole, burn the logs down, throw in sand, then a massive cauldron of beans, and cover it with sand.  next day around 11 am i think, they took em out.
    great time

edited:

wow.  still doing it.  been doing it since 1960...
    http://www.classiccarcommunity.com/event-calendar/48th+Annual+Bean+Hole+Meet+/2226/

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Moderator Team
    Options
    you can send questions to forumabuse@biggreenegg.com
  • boatbum
    Options

Well, already posed the question above....

Cookin in Texas
  • Moderator Team
    Options
    I saw that...glad whiz could help..just wanted to let you know