Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking on a Small

haywyre
haywyre Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok so I broke down and got a small. I am so used to cooking on the large I am curious of what to throw on the small now. I will be placing an order for the GrillMates for the small from chubby in a few days. with not much real estate on the small I am just wondering whats the largest some one has cooked on a small. [p]chubby,
If your out there give me a holler on the GrillMates.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    haywyre,
    steaks
    burgers
    brats
    pork chops
    Cornish hens
    ABTs
    you name it - but don't underestimate the small BGE - I use my small at least 50% of all my cooks and I've got 3 (L M S)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    I'll add..
    pork Loins
    Small Chickens
    smaller picnic shoulder or butt, may need to refuel once
    babyback ribs, enough for 2-3 people
    small roasts, prime rib-I did a 5 pounder, it was awesome.

• egghead2004,[p]
    I cook pork butts and shoulders on my small all the time and have never had to refuel. Largest shoulder or butt I've done on there was 7.5 pounds but I bet I could get a 10 pounder on there if I could find one that big.[p]Cabana[p]

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Cabana,
    how long did you cook the 7.5# and at what temp? I guess I could ask what kind of lump too.
    Last fall when I did a butt and a turkey, I had a 9# butt cooking in the large all night. Then I moved it to the small after 14 hours so I could get my turkey started. Now I did get about 8 hours @ 230 out of BGE lump, it was filled 1/2 way up the fire ring. Once the butt was done, I took a peak and there was not much lump left, maybe another hour or 2. I bet I could get a good 16-20 hours from Wicked Good, I'll have to try.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    haywyre,[p]Ole Chubby is currently out here in California one a lil' Vacation with the wife. I'll pass on tha fact that you are looking for him and he may have internet access later in the week. I know he expects to ship the first production of the "Grate Mates" once he returns to Houston next week.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• egghead2004,[p]Royal Oak.[p]The other night I smoked a 7.5 pound shoulder for 12 hours. I still have quite a bit of lump in there too. I'm guessing 16+ hours is not out of the question, although I've never done that. I fill it right up to the grid level and use a grid, then the thick BGE pizza pan thingie..then my rib rack upside down..then the butt on top of that (I only used my rib rack because I had my second small grid in the medium holding up a big pork butt in there overnight). The lump is almost touching the bottom grid.Temp was right around 230 give or take.[p]Cabana

• haywyre,[p]The small will cook two large butts at one time which will feed about 25 people. [p]Dave

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    haywyre, I love my small and generally do all my searing in it as well as anything else I want. I usually always sear with a raised grid. I did two 7 1/2 lb boston butts on the thing and they were touching the side just a taddy little bit for the 1st few hours. I had to stand em on their ends to get em in there. So anyway 15 lbs or so of pulled pork off of the small is pretty good. Liked you website by the way.

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    haywyre, I have done two boston butts, about 15 lbs. total weight, on the small.(several times) It will hold a rock solid 230 degrees for 16 hours without adding BGE or Royal Oak charcoal. No doubt, longer with Wicked Good !I add a little charcoal around 12 hours just to keep her up to temperature for the finish. The small is AWESOME ! You will enjoy cooking on her....