Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallop Ideas?

Options
joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought some scallops...I saw the recipe for bacon wrapped scallops in the seafood section (and I don't think I could go wrong with that recipe), but does anyone else have any ideas?  I am going to cook them one night this week.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    How about Shrimp and Scallop Scampi ?  Do the linguini on the stove and the rest on the egg.

½ box linguini
    1 lb. Shrimp, med. to large
    ½ lb. Bay Scallops
    1 bunch Green onions
    4 lg cloves Garlic, minced
    Parmesan cheese, grated
    1 teaspoon Parsley
    1 + teaspoon Red pepper flakes, crushed
    1 stick Butter
    1.Saute onions and garlic in butter. Add parsley and crushed red peppers. Add shrimp and scallops and stir for about 3 minutes.
    2.Boil linguini and drain.
    3.Put scampi over linguini and grate cheese over it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    That looks really good VI.

Just a little oil, salt and pepper, and then a quick hot sear on both sides....perfect use for the flat side of the cast iron grid in the spider if you have that setup.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

not sure about the recipe you mentioned.   I did some the other day that turned out well.

lenthwise slices of jalepeno and onions

coated one side of a slice of jalepeno and onion with cream cheese

stuck them together - wrapped half a piece of bacon around it and skewered with a toothpic.

In that cook, I did shrimp, scallops, chicken ( thigh), and turkey breast.   The scallops were gone first.

Cookin in Texas
  • joe@bge
    Options

not sure about the recipe you mentioned.   I did some the other day that turned out well.

lenthwise slices of jalepeno and onions

coated one side of a slice of jalepeno and onion with cream cheese

stuck them together - wrapped half a piece of bacon around it and skewered with a toothpic.

In that cook, I did shrimp, scallops, chicken ( thigh), and turkey breast.   The scallops were gone first.

Here is the recipe I found:
    Scallop Recipe

@Village - Looks good.  I'll keep that in mind.

• hogaholic
    Options
    I know you didn't ask for this, but I cooked Bacon Wrapped scallops for a post-Christmas party and they were fantastic.  Really simple, but everyone went gaga over them.

This was served as an appetizer.  I got the scallops frozen from Sam's (hey, I live in W. Tennessee).  They were really think.  I cut them into appetizer sized pieces and wrapped them in partially cooked bacon.  A nice touch of my own pork rub (a basic rub with paprika, cayenne, chilli powder, etc, etc) and grilled them direct at a 400 degree dome temp.  It doesn't take long to get them to firm up and when they do pull 'em.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • joe@bge
    Options
    @Hog - the bacon wrapped version is the one I am going with - I just don't know if I am going to use the lemon juice/maple syrup prep in the recipe.  I may just go with the bacon and rub and see what I think of that - after all - can't be too bad with bacon!  :@)
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Joe,

I intentionally kept it very simple and was glad I did, as scallops are a very delicate shellfish and I felt it better to be a bit more conservative with the seasonings.  The pork rub I make has some brown sugar but also smoked paprika and cayenne and I felt it really added a nice touch.  I sprinkled it lightly on each side, just enough to taste.

You need to precook your bacon so the bacon so you won't have to keep the scallop on the grill waiting for the bacon to get done, thereby overcooking the scallop.  I fried it until it started turning darker but remained a limp enough to wrap around the scallop.

Good luck
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    I do scallops (from sams) on a ci griddle, flat side, heated well. Season with salt and pepper, and cook one side only until caramelized on the face and opaque on the opposite side. I make a sauce of butter, olive oil, lemon, garlic, honey and franks hot sauce. Plate the scallops with the caramelized side up and drizzle the sauce over the scallops and serve.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    70chevelle...

we've done something similar, scallops seared three ways.  i don't recall the ingredients, but we made sweet and savory variations, used tequila, rum, etc.  dizzpy pig was involved too

burned off the alcohol

resting

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Have you not heard of Coquilles St. Jaques? I'll send you a recipe. What is your address in Caledon?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• joe@bge
    edited February 2012
    Options

More good ideas...I cooked them last night (sorry no images - had the camera but the battery was dead) and they turned out good.  I think next time I am going to sear in a skillet like 70chevelle and stike said.  I didn't really see where the bacon wrapped recipe really contributed to the flavor of the scallops, other than I got to eat bacon with my scallops.