Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Following this forum and Gaining weight

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

So, when I first got the BGE - my immediate concern was weight gain.    Found myself cooking the foods ( which are not necessarily the healthiest) much more often - which were then egg-fied and much better tasting - and consuming copious amounts of MEAT.

First adjustment - was adjust the diet other places - eating smaller portions on non Egg meals, etc.  Was kinda balancing out -- for a while.

Now I find, sitting in the office in the morning occaisonally surfing through the latest posts - and by lunch time I am starving.   The digestive juices are flowing all morning long seeing the pictures of what everyone is cooking.   I have cooks for the next 7 times I fire up the Egg planned out.

Suffice to say, much harder eating a smaller portion of anything lunch after the morning of forum browsing.   Maybe I should restrict my forum time to immediately after a meal...  Not sure if anyone else has the problem.

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Interesting. Mine has had the opposite effect.  I find myself less and less interested in eating out/take out since I got the BGE.

I usually order a small salad at a restaurant because I know I will be disappointed with any meat not cooked on my Egg, especially at the places I eat lunch. 

Also, when I can make a $2 pork chop taste so good I have trouble paying $10 for a marginal piece of chicken or a burger.

My biggest problem is trying not to spend all day looking up stuff about the Egg on the internet!
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I find myself eating more off the egg as well.  The food has a much better taste than most meals I have eaten out.  People ask us to go out to eat now and I tell them I would rather cook for them.  After we eat they start asking about where to get an egg and how much one costs.  There are very few things I would rather eat out than off my egg. 

• I ran into the same problem.  I gained 15 lbs in the past 3 years so I have tried to alter the way I eat.  I still get my fair share of unhealthy egging but this has really helped me.  This is a great article written by my wife.  You will have individual meals for a week. The Foodsaver seals in the flavor so it's tastes just like you egged it.  Turkey burgers, gilled chicken breasts & grilled fish.   

http://drfitnessystems.com/2012/01/23/confessions-of-a-power-cooker-how-to-plan-prepare-and-cook-hea lthy-meals-a-week-in-advance/
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the only thing that makes you fat is eating too much.
    portion size, portion size, portion size.

chocolate bars and fudge and eating bacon fat by the spoonful wouldn't make you fat unless you had too much of it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Everything in moderation!!!!!!!!
  • I'm with Hi54. Love the taste of the food that the egg produces. So much of it is above standard of the restaurants and at a lot less money.
    It is fun to plan and prepare for others too.
    Smaller portions but very tasty, nothing wrong with that scenario.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    edited February 2012
    What they said. Cooking at home is much healthier than a restaurant, and cheaper. I have egg leftovers for lunch most days and go for a walk at lunchtime.
  • We have not been to a chinese restaurant, pizza parlor, or steak house in over two years.  About the only thing left is Italian and BBQ joints (bbq only because it's too much of a commitment to cook a brisket that often).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I have to go along with stike and a couple of others. But, along with portion control how about a little exercise. At one point I was up to 227 on a 6 foot frame.(I can't blame it all on my Egg though)

It took a little over a year with smaller portions and a slight tip of the hat to the suggested diabetic diet. No white foods. Rice, potatoes, bread are out. Now, along with the gym 3 times a week (it's called exercise) I'm down to 185 and any weight gain usually comes from additional muscle gain.

I can sit in a chair to tie my shoes and not huff and puff trying to reach the laces over a gut.

By the way, have you ever looked at some of the concoctions some Eggers eat? Stuff covered with cheese?

We still eat 3 or 4 times a week off the Egg in the winter and nightly during the warmer months.

My 2¢ worth.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    another practical yankee, sundown. 
    i love food.  i like to say that i am a 400 pound bastard trapped in a 175 pound body .  i would eat all day, anything i wanted, if i had my druthers.  i'd eat dry aged steak every night, butter on everything, and have a couple-six beers maybe, too.

but i don't.  and that's it.  my job isn't physical, so i don't eat like a ditchdigger.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Portion control is extremely important.