Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rejuvenated Daisy Wheel

OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just wanted to share this with anyone who was like me that had no experience with cast iron.  The combiniation of leaving the daisy wheel out in the rain and the salty bay air rusted the hell out of my Daisy Wheel.  I was actually ready to buy a new one.  I got some great advice from other eggers on the forum and reseasoned it.  Below are before and after pics.  Thanks again to those who helped me out.

imageimage

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• The top pic looks like it was retrieved from the Bay
    LET'S EAT
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I can't believe you ate food cooked under that thing. Nice job.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Can you share exactly what you did?
  • Mine looks about the same.  You have inspired me to clean it up. 

Thanks
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • What a difference.
    the burg
  • I've been hosing mine down with oil before every cook. Your results just saved me a case of Pam lol. Awesome!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited February 2012

Can you share exactly what you did?

Absolutely.  I Dropped the Daisy Wheel right on top of the coals and opened the egg wide open.  That took all the rust and food waste off.  It will also take off any oil that still remains within the cast iron.  There was clearly no oil left in my Daisy Wheel.  The following day, I sprayed it down with cooking oil and placed it in the oven at 400 degrees until my wife kicked both me and the Daisy Wheel out of the house.  The smell of heating oil on cast iron does in fact emit a slight odor.  The Daisy Wheel soaked up the oil, essentially seasoning it.  I sprayed it again with cooking oil before my next cook.   Following the cook, and all subsequent cooks, the Daisy Wheel is stored in the hot egg while it cools.  Every time I do this, it seasons the Daisy Wheel even more. My Daisy wheel is even darker and more seasoned then a few months ago when I took the "after" picture.  A fellow egger taught me this method and provided me with the below link about seasoning cast iron pans. 

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm-

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Just always put it in the hot egg when you are closing it up. The heat before cool down will keep it fine.

Close the bottom vent, put the creramic cap on and put the DW in the grill.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.