Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Jalapeño poppers

jbnelson502jbnelson502 Posts: 18
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing some poppers this weekend. Was planning to stuff with cream cheese, roasted peppers and sausage, then wrap with bacon. Any input on the type of sausage to use? Or am I way off track here? Thanks for everyone's help!

Comments

• You are fine. I like to mix grated cheese in with the cream cheese. My favourites are cream cheese mixed with gruyere and diced pineapple with a shrimp in the middle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,471
    I am doing the same this weekend. I am using bob evens spicy ground sausage and mixing cheddar and cream cheese.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I like the pineapple shrimp idea. How long does this cook for? Is there a risk of overcooking the shrimp?
  • Not really. I just cook til the bacon is crisp and they are always fine. Is Nelson your last name? Mine is too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jscarfojscarfo Posts: 399
    I add garlic chopped small and Rudy's dry rub to the cream cheese. I only add sausage if I'm doing them without bacn. I like to try different ways
  • Yep.  Another Nelson here.  This one's a newebie though.  Having fun with it. 

Thanks for the advice.  I am thinking  pulled pork with sausage stuffed/bacon wrapped poppers might be a little heavy on the pork.  Shrimp might be a nice change of pace.  Do you buy tiny shrimp or chop some up?

• I usually do what I have in the freezer. If they are large, I cut them in half lengthwise. When I do them I slice the chili from bottom to top without going all the way through. I stuff them and the stem stays on as a handle (most of the time). I usually pick through the tray at the store and pick out smallish peppers so they are like two bites each

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,138
    edited February 2012
    I'd choose one -- pulled pork or sausage, & then wrap in bacon.  I also add grated cheese to the  cream cheese (can't go wrong with gruyere like Little Steven mentioned).  I love the shrimp idea, too! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • I think he means pulled pork as the entree but not sure. I love pulled pork abts too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Oh!  Well in that case go for it! There is no such thing as "too much pork", IMO.  :D 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • Love it!! Maybe I'll do them all...
  • Oh!  Well in that case go for it! There is no such thing as "too much pork", IMO.  :D 
    Isn't that what they say in Congress ?   :-((

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious