Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in chicken breasts

BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been a while since I have posted anything here. I have tried to search this topic but pretty much think the search feature is worthless on this new forum. So here is my question.

I've never done bone in chicken breasts on the egg. Tons of spatchcocks, thighs, boneless skinless, but no bone in breasts. Any tips on time and temp? I'm assuming a raised grid is in order.

Thanks 
Scott

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Cook them just like you would a spatchcock chicken. Raised grate, direct, 400 degrees and cook to 160. And of course season to your liking.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Thanks Granny. I figured that would probably be the way to cook them. But always wonder if someone has something else they do.
  • I do them just like Granny!
  • We tend to pull white meat at 155 internal, the temp will continue to drift upwards after pulling off Egg.

Let rest for 10 minutes before you cut. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Granny's way is my way too.  Season 'em up good, raised grid, around 400 dome temp.

When I was cooking these direct on top of the fire ring they never turned out good because the meat in the thin parts would be dry and overcooked compared to the thicker part of the breast.  Moving up to the raised grid helped in this regard. 

I prefer to cook breasts with the skin an bones still on.  Much more tender and juicer compared to boneless/skinless.  When I do cook boneless/skinless I pound them out with a mallet to uniform thickness.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sorry for the dumb question, but what are y'all using to "raise the grid"? Preferably not bricks, I need to add to my eggsessory collection!! Wife would disagree with that :D
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Adjustable rig from ceramic grill store. Get that and the spider.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I use the BGE tired rack but would prefer the AR. It's only money.......
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Check out naked whiz' site for his description on doing it with nuts, bolts and washers.
  • Hiites
    Hiites Posts: 26
    I do them just as everyone suggested except I like to brine them before cooking. Dissolve 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt in 1 qt hot water. Add 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic. Then add 1qt ice cubes. Put in chicken breasts and refrigerate for a couple of hours prior to cooking. Rinse and pat dry, then season with a rub of your choice that contains little or no salt. Thats my brine recipe for 2 bone in chicken breasts. You may need to double the recipe for more chicken.