Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paint Chipping off top of Egg

Options
Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I walk outside this morning and thought a bird had crapped on my BGEXL, under closer inspection, I see that the paint is chipping off in small and large chunks.  I took the chimney cover off and see that bigger peices of paint are coming off around the chimney opening.  WTF.  What do I do, I have had this thing for less than a year.

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    Call BGE. I predict no problem. It sounds like BGE has some of the best costumer service around. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in with better advice. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    there's no paint on the egg, that's actually the glaze coming off.  i'd call my dealer AND call/email a photo to the distributor (the folks the dealer gets the eggs from).

you might wait to see what they say before you contact HQ in atalnta.  give the dealer a chance to handle it, then the distributor (who the dealer needs to go through for warranty support anyway).
    if you run into grief with both, go to HQ.  HQ is great to deal with, but hopefully the dealer/distributor will handle you
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • travisstrick
    Options
    there's no pain on the egg, that's actually the glaze coming off.  i'd call my dealer AND call/email a photo to the distributor (the folks the dealer gets the eggs from).

you might wait to see what they say before you contact HQ in atalnta.  give the dealer a chance to handle it, then the distributor (who the dealer needs to go through for warranty support anyway).
    if you run into grief with both, go to HQ.  HQ is great to deal with, but hopefully the dealer/distributor will handle you
    And theres your better advise.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    meant "paint", by the way.  not "pain".  of course, there's no pain on an egg either :)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I had the glazing start to come off on the base of my large. About the size of a quarter. Took several pictures and sent it to Bruce at the mothership. He approved the replacement and got the replacement from EGGS by the Bay. Very easy. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Iceman5705
    Options
    Spoke to Bruce at BGE and they are taking care of replacing my dome.  All is right with the world!
  • Iceman5705
    Options
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Options

Another photo.

Wow, that's severe.  Never seen that before anywhere near that bad!  Glad they're taking care of that for you.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Iceman5705
    Options
    Yeah Choke, they said it is because the ceramic did not cure properly.  Glad they are taking care of it. 
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26
    Options
    Does look like bird turd at first :D
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sounds like BGE support and warranty really do stand up to the true tests.

as a new owner i am VERY glad to hear they are replacing dome, sorry to say though it is for selfish reasons. Now i know if I have issues they will get corrected .

I am happy for you as well of course