Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to being an Egghead

Options
williabr78
williabr78 Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in Root
Well, Just ordered my first LBGE and I'm so excited to be the proud owner of the best grill I have seen.

Does anyone have any tips on how to break this grill in or should I just start cooking?

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Read the forum.   I got a years worth of education in a few weeks.   There is alot of knowledge here.   Welcome aboard - hang on and get ready to cook.   Hope you got a good camera - cause pics are part of posting.....

Cookin in Texas
  • genwmull
    Options
    I started by loading it up and trying to adjust the temperatures.  I started low around 250 and got it to stabilize and then increased it to around 400 let it stabilize and brought the temp back down.  It was very easy to do and I felt like I was learning my new egg, then I broke it in with some hamburgers and chicken breast.  Then on the weekend I decided to do an all nighter and cooked a boston butt.  It was great.  I did have a Maverick that would alarm me when the temp got to hot or to low so that is a good investment for over night cooks.  I actually use it most of the time to monitor the grate temp.  The easiest thing is probably a spatchcocked chicken and it is very good. 

You will have a blast and find out that you will gain more friends.  LOL

Congratulations and welcome.

Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    Just start cooking!!!! When you have a question use the search button and you will find some answers. Spatchcock chicken is a great and easy thing to try on your new egg. Welcome
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Welcome here williabr78. There is a lot of info available here. Cooking on the BGE is a ton of fun. Enjoy the journey.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken is a right of passage for a first cook.
  • boatbum
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken is a right of passage for a first cook.

I have never done a spatchcock chicken - or anything else spatchcock.....

havent gone through the right of passage yet ... weekend project - ty MQ

Cookin in Texas
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    Boatbum, do you happen to belong to a boating forum as well....?
  • nineee
    nineee Posts: 41
    Options
    I read somewhere you should do a few low cooks before bringing the egg up to over 400 degrees 'cuz it could damage the gasket.  Don't know if that's true or not but I didn't want to take a chance.  So I did a slow cook pork butt, beer can chicken and spatchcock chicken before doing pizza at 500 degrees.  Find a spatchcock chicken on youtube to see how they cut it up.  I used the Garfunkle recipe in our little book.  It was delicious.  You'll love the BGE.  OH, do burp it when lifting the lid.  I even burp at low temps just to be sure.  Nina in KY  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Welcome and fair warning-BGE does become habit forming-especially as you drink more of the green kool-aid.  Below is an outstanding primer link that is a great source for lots of info.  You can also search the forum and use google as well.  People are more than ready to help-just shoot the questions and you will get results.  Enjoy the journey!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It is good just to mess with temperature control for awhile. Once you get the hang of how much the vents need to be opened for particular temps, things become much easier. At low temperatures, around 250 dome, just small taps of the vents are needed to fine tune the temperature. With the vents open wide, the Egg can go from being an oven to a volcano quite quickly. Not knowing how the temperature increases, on my third cook I left the Egg with the temperature creeping up to 350. Came back ten minutes later to a blue jet coming out of the top, and the dome therm past max. Dinner was crispy, to say the least.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    I never thought about a break in period.  I just loaded mine with lump and fired it up.  The BGE booklet had recipe for simon and garfunkel chicken and that was my 1st cook.  Did not even know it was called spatchcock but it is a great place to start.  I made a bunch of mistakes on some of my early cooks but I don't make same mistake twice...good way to learn.
  • williabr78
    Options
    Thanks for all the great comments. I look forward to getting years of my new BGE.
  • boatbum
    Options
    Boatbum, do you happen to belong to a boating forum as well....?
    There are a couple I surf through.   Love spending time on the water - hence the nickname.
    Cookin in Texas
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    I know I've seen "Boatbum" on BoatedEd ... Not sure if it was you or not.
  • Baysidebob
    Options

1) Read BGE forum posts until your eyes bleed.  Bear in mind your results may not be the same but you'll get Eggin' 101 for free.

2) Get a recipe 100% down and reliable before serving company.

3) Your previous life has ended and you have entered a new avocation which will consume you as your guests will consume your work.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • TullyMN
    Options

I think friends and family make great test subjects. Just be ready to order a pizza if things don't turn out.

As far ad breaking in, I sure there are multiple opinions. My BGE rep at the dealer demo said to cook away on day one. Go hot, go low, didn't matter as the BGE is ready to go out of the box.
  • MO_Smoke1
    Options
    Welcome.  I just joined and am a full blown addict.