Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The weekend ripoff

Options
IrishDevl
IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just went to the place I got my egg to pick up a bag of weekend warrior and the price went up to $27 for a 22lb bag.  No thanks my man, for that
price the wood better do all the food prep as well.  I picked up a bag of el gaucho instead, a slighter ripoff at $20 for an approx 20lb bag (actually states this on the bag). Royal Oak looking better and better.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Royal Oak is my favorite brand anyway and is for a lot of folks.  $6.47 for a 10# (soon to be 8.8#).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• IrishDevl
    Options
    Yes, very reasonable.  I bought RO at 18lbs for 13.??.  Nice price, and will use it for the first time tonight.  Hey, what gives with the avatars?  You used to be such a handsome fella.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

IrishDevl

What state do you live in? 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    NJ, perhaps a bit more expensive here.  But, WW was $20 for the same bag a few weeks back, price increase of $7, ouch
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @Irish Devl.

I had to show Travis that I outrank him, although the Army hasn't had that rank in 26 years (Sp 5).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I get it in Denver for $23 and change after tax.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    It should be cheaper there, as it ships from Maine. West coast drop ship wholesale prices are under $18.00 dealer cost.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Can't find RO in Louisville, KY.  Not at local Walmarts...maybe out of season.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Billyray, this is the only spot near me that carries it.  I do like it, but at that price it is just to expensive.  But agreed, it definitely should be cheaper based on what you stated above.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    MN has RO 8.8 lbs for $4.50

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Just under $6.00 for a 8.8lb bag of RO here in West Tennessee.

That is approximately what a 10lb bag recently cost.  Looks like the good folks at Royal Oak are following the same trend seen in the food industry - don't raise the price, just make the quantity smaller.

For the last couple of years we have been buying coffee beans from Sam's in a two pound bag.  We were out the other night so I went to Kroger for some "emergency" coffee and was surprised to find the standard size coffee container is now 11.3 oz, not a pound.  Makes me sick

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Hogaholic, I couldn't agree more.  Just Ben Bernake's way of telling people that there is no inflation in our economy.  The price is still the same, so can't be any devaluing of the dollar even though helcopter Ben keeps the printing press running.  Have you seen candy bars?  At least 25% smaller across the board, better for the waistline, but come on. 
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    VI, very nice indeed.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    @ Village Idiot

Thanks for your service!! As well as any others who I'm sure are on this forum
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Just fired up some RO for the first time, a bit sparky, but other than that no complaints.  Cooking grass fed veal chops and chicken wings for the kids.  
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks a lot, Gato.  We didn't get thanks during the VietNam War era.  That's why I thank every service person I see.

Yesterday, at the cafeteria, there was a soldier eating his lunch.  I told the checkout clerk that I wanted to pay for his dinner.  Hopefully, she did.  I think everybody should do something for these kids.  We owe them so much.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• IrishDevl
    Options
    The RO pinned the temp needle very quickly, wasn't expecting that.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Thanks a lot, Gato.  We didn't get thanks during the VietNam War era.  That's why I thank every service person I see.

Good habit, yall deserve it. The least we could do for your sacrifice/service.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Hogaholic, I couldn't agree more.  Just Ben Bernake's way of telling people that there is no inflation in our economy.  The price is still the same, so can't be any devaluing of the dollar even though helcopter Ben keeps the printing press running.  Have you seen candy bars?  At least 25% smaller across the board, better for the waistline, but come on. 
    I didn't know they were doing that with candy bars but it doesn't surprise me.  Probably part of Obama's plan for the government to regulate what and how much we eat.  Next thing you know we all will be required to register as hostile chefs that cook with open fires, a genuine terrorist threat.
  • Irishdevl, you can order weekend warrior from the manufacturer cheaper then what that place is charging you. I'm a WW fan. I've tried a lot of different brands, but nothing even comes close to Wicked Good.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I used WW this past weekend for my first slow and low (5lb & 7lb butts) and it burned great! No troubles during the night and went well into 17+ hours w/out a hitch. Will buy again. Wicked Good
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Hog and irish: they've been doing it for years, and since well before obama/bush/clinton et al

I know people are pissed, but i dont think obama is orchestrating the great candy bar swindle :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TheCub
    TheCub Posts: 13
    edited February 2012
    Options

.  Next thing you know we all will be required to register as hostile chefs that cook with open fires, a genuine terrorist threat.
    Really not a joke.....they are after complete control.  We may see this come outta DHS (aka US Gestapo) soon.
    Ain't no time like a good time!
  • TheCub
    TheCub Posts: 13
    Options
    ....or look for Al Gore to hit us in respect of carbon emissions...
    Ain't no time like a good time!
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Who the Hell comes up with 8.8lbs. instead of a normal 10,20,50Lb. bag ?
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Who the Hell comes up with 8.8lbs. instead of a normal 10,20,50Lb. bag ?
    The same people that came up with this for a "pound" of coffee.  My wife said it started with 5# sugar.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• IrishDevl
    Options
    Stike, I don't think any president is/has caused anything, just that the cost of everything has gone up, and rather than charge more (in some cases they do) they shrink the product.  Candy bars just an example, I know this because of my kids.  Inflation is alive and well, particularly in the food items we eat.   
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Tanks Old North, I'll take a look at the website, but how many do you have to order for a shipment?  
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Since I hijacked this thread by starting the discussion of downsized packaging, here is a nice review of the subject from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/business/29shrink.html?pagewanted=all

Another great article with several good examples:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/04/04/u-s-companies-shrink-packages-as-food-prices-rise/
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Hijack away, this is good stuff.  No inflation on TV's and stuff, just ones that break down after 5 years.  My in-laws just threw out a TV they had for 30 years, couldn't believe it.  Also, have a fridge in their garage for 30 years, not a chance nowadays.