Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Paranoia

colowinocpl
colowinocpl Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in Root
I just got my new Large Egg this last weekend. Already did my first ribs and pork butt, both low and slow.
They came out AMAZING. We are ready to try everything but paranoid about burning up the gasket.
Looking for how long it is advised to keep the cooking temps down before we can safely not worry about burning up the gasket.
Or if we should just not worry and order a high temp one and replace.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Just the first handful of cooks need to stay at or under 400 degrees is what I have heard.
  • Don't worry about it....it's gonna fry at some point. Get a Rutland gasket if you do order a high heat one...or you could just go with no gasket...there will be plenty of people who chime in on this thread that don't use one at all.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147

I really wouldn't worry about it too much.  Some folks on here have not replaced their gaskets after burning them up.  When you do burn it up...and it will happen... you can use a Rutland Stove Gasket kit to replace it with.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I agree with Might Quinn, death, taxes and frying your BGE brand gasket - three guarantees in life
  • Let it go man. I went through the same ass pain over mine. It fried completely off and I dont miss it. I can't tell a difference in cooking or temp.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Every time I drive my car I worry about the brakes wearing out, I might quit driving.

Gerhard
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
     i just peeled the new gasket off my new egg the last time and started cooking, figured it would be easier to remove when new
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I say let her rip man.  Someday you will replace it with a better one, or maybe not replace it at all.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Thanks for all the input. 
    Gonna just go for it and not worry....Cheers
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107

I would cook away and not worry about it b/c the standard gasket will burn but I am going to disagree w/ going whole - go w/o the gasket anymore.  A couple of years ago I tried to install the new high temp, I prepped, cleaned, sprayed w/ the 44 sticky stuff.  Well it made it through one or two cooks and peeled off.  I just pressed on and the egg cooked fine.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I just had to replace my spring bands on my 8 year old large - the bands that were made overseas and you can no longer get replacement springs for from BGE.  I figured it would be taken apart anyway - I will try the gasket again.  Well - repeat all of the steps above but this time it stuck. 

What I immediately noticed was HOW FAST the fire went out when I shut her down and how much MORE unburned charcoal I had when I went to cook on it the next day.  I always had some and always thought that I was shutting down the egg pretty quick when I was finished for the night but the difference is dramatic.

Ok - post has gotten long enough...

-ChrisC

• I would cook away and not worry about it b/c the standard gasket will burn but I am going to disagree w/ going whole - go w/o the gasket anymore.  A couple of years ago I tried to install the new high temp, I prepped, cleaned, sprayed w/ the 44 sticky stuff.  Well it made it through one or two cooks and peeled off.  I just pressed on and the egg cooked fine. 

I just had to replace my spring bands on my 8 year old large - the bands that were made overseas and you can no longer get replacement springs for from BGE.  I figured it would be taken apart anyway - I will try the gasket again.  Well - repeat all of the steps above but this time it stuck. 

What I immediately noticed was HOW FAST the fire went out when I shut her down and how much MORE unburned charcoal I had when I went to cook on it the next day.  I always had some and always thought that I was shutting down the egg pretty quick when I was finished for the night but the difference is dramatic.

Ok - post has gotten long enough...

-ChrisC

Now, dont you go messing up my belief system. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tank_NZ
    Tank_NZ Posts: 53
    edited February 2012

That is interesting - I would have thought that the air that comes in via the gaps around the ceramic top would have made more of a difference in the close down time.
  • Question, How do the wire probes fair without the gasket cushion? Does it smash them or do ya go in from the top?
    LET'S EAT
  • tried mine without a gasket last weekend. On Sunday i installed a rutland gasket. So far so good, only time will tell. There are several optoions as far as gaskets go. The naked whiz knows all of them, I think...
  • Glad I jumped right in. Made the best pizza ever last night. Followed the directions to the tee from the BGE cookbook and the crust was perfect. Cooked at 600 to 650 and no signs of a burnt up gasket. I will say that I eased the temp up instead of just wide open to 600 deg.