Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco promotion Kamado - Updated

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

John Ross, you really should post this stuff on the Costco Kamado forum... 

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Stike, I disagree, if your Chevy model could be passed onto unsuspecting potential Ford buyers as a nearly equivalent model, at half the price Chevy people would be standing outside of Ford showrooms picking people off as they walk in with the promise of an equal experience at half the cost. On top of that, what better place to advertise a kamado grill than on quite possibly the most widely read forum in the kamado market.  There has to be many many people on here who are possible buyers looking to gather information. 

Oh ya, and don't forget never buy a Ford because when the end of the world finally arrives the Chevy buyers are the ones who survive (Superbowl Commercial)    :-))
  • good luck getting warranty support from china
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well, i just think jumping to the conclusion that the guy works for the company that sells the thing is a little paranoid, overly defensive, and petty.  but hey, that's just me.

i own a BGE, but it doesn't define me.  i don't care if someone thinks another grill is better (or not).

folks are quick to pounce, is all. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • IrishDevl
    edited February 2012
    I am not sure how you think; "I think you work for the company" is an overly defensive or petty statement; but hey, that's just me. 

Sorry - edited, meant to have not here.  And all good stike.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's not just you.  but it ain't me.

i'm done, btw.  not here to defend anyone.  and certainly not here to defend a frigging grill
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • IrishDevl, before anyone gets the idea that this is the best place to advertise another brand of kamado cooker because it is the most widely read kamado board, typically comparison discussions have been discouraged because they usually devolve into nasty arguments.  ADVERTISING other brands has never been allowed. 

The Naked Whiz
  • No, not an inside guy, and sorry I had no intention of starting a flaming war with Egg aficionados. Just came here to get and share recipes and experiences with kamado cooking. It's a funny thing we get a bit territorial with our grills. I also own a small Green Egg. It's a fine grill. I would have to say, though, if I had a a budget of 12-1500 dollars for a grill, I'd have to put down a little more and spring for the Kamodo Kamado. I understand this guy, Mike Linkletter, grandson of Art Linkletter, the TV personality way back when, bought this company, and is just breaking all kinds of sales records lately. And to the credit of BGE, he has used many of the same principles, such as creating a cult following and offering superior customer service...
  • "good luck getting warranty support from China"
    Actually, the grill's from Costco. It could break down twenty years from now, I bring it back and they give me a 100% refund. How can you beat that... Just sayn...
  • John Ross, you really should post this stuff on the Costco Kamado forum... 

As I said, sorry for getting y'all's panties in a bunch, but I didn't start the post, just ran across it... Sounded like the person who started the post wanted some objective opinions on the grill. Being that I own it and it's worked out well for me, not sure why anyone wod have a problem with that...
  • John, I'll admit it.  I'm a pain.  :)) But, it is Komodo Kamado, and Dennis Linkletter.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    But his friends call him Denny.

This is the best discussion I have read since joining the forum.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Sorry, Mr. Whiz, knew I had that wrong! Lol
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    As long as John is happy with the cooker that is all that is important.

Gerhard
  • I like it. This disscusion has taken the heat off my forum faux pas.
    :-bd
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • John, I'll admit it.  I'm a pain.  :)) But, it is Komodo Kamado, and Dennis Linkletter.

Busted 
    =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    Not to beat this topic into the ground, I would also ad that the $769 or $799 price that they were offering the "Jackson" Grill, I would agree seemed too high. And I more than likely would have paid the extra and gone BGE. But for $499, ya can't deny it's a hell of a deal. The stand alone retails for nearly $100. The double decker cooking grate is over $80 on Amazon and a cover prolly 30-40 bucks.... For $500, a great buy, undeniably so...
  • IrishDevl
    OK, so let me get this stright, NakedWhiz is really Dennis Linkletter, and John Ross is his cousin/brother Mike, who may buy the Costco promoted Kamado.  Wow, glad we cleared everything up.    :))
  • I like it. This disscusion has taken the heat off my forum faux pas.
    :-bd
    Yeah, it's devolving fast.  

I am always interested in learning about other cookers, so I hope we can get some actual real time use info on this one.  The argument that you can return it in 20 years is somewhat true.  I don't know if Costco will take it back if you crack your dome due to lower quality ceramics without thinking you dropped it.  And I know the likelyhood of you not getting a replacement is high.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I always like to learn about different cookers, as well. Forgive me for going off topic so much, but I'm curious about one thing. I've noticed the fire box in the Green Egg is, well, an egg shaped design if you will. The firebox in some other kamados, the Vision kamado from Costco included, is more cylindrical, contouring more to the shape of the kamado's outside walls. While for grilling at higher temps, I wouldn't think the firebox shape would make a huge difference. But for smoking, I am thinking the design of the Green Egg's firebox might be superior in the way it directs air and heat from the bottom vent to the top chimney. If there is anyone out there who owns a Green Egg vs. a kamado that has a different firebox design, I'd like to hear your comments.
  • I love both of my large BGEs, glad I bought them.  Lots of people (wannabes) like knock off products, that's just not me.
  • .....here we go again....Just as it got peaceful.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    If nothing else John Ross is ballsy enough to use his name rather than hiding some made-up name like...well, Gezr
    :\">
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    This looks similar to the vision grillworks kamado cooker sold at the home depot.  This is the cheaper model than the Home Depot version.  Home Depot sold them for $700.00.  Cleared them out for $299.00 last fall.  Saw one locally for $500.00 recently.  One of my neighbors has one.  It is a nice unit and I have cooked on it with him. Large BGE accessories work on it.   I would drop $299.00 on it, but for my money, I will keep with the egg......BTW......my neighbor wishes he had the BGE!
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    We all make tradeoffs with our money.  The Costco unit may not be the best grill, but how many would say the BGE is the best ceramic cooker?  It's not a BGE but I'd have this baby in my backyard if it were on sale for 1/2 price.  Hopefully that doesn't make me evil in the eyes of this forum. image
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Yup that's the "Komodo Kamado" from Mr Linkletter that I was mentioning... My dream grill!
  • If anyone wishes to learn more about the Kamodo Kamado from Mr. Dennis Linkletter ( :) ) if you go to my web site and look at the product reviews, you will find one that should answer your every question.  More or less.
    The Naked Whiz
  • IrishDevl
    Ragtop, I would be afraid to cook on that thing, to darn pretty.  I once read those little tile pieces seem to pop off and customer service not so great, not sure if that is true or not.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here is a quote from my friend in South Carolina about his neighbors Kamodo Kamado.

"Mike
    I know where you can get a screaming deal on one, it's a 23" and was ordered with brown tile, a year after it was ordered it finally showed up with blue tile, since then about 1/4 of the tiles have fallen off, give it a few good long cooks and you can probably retile it any color you want!!!" 

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • bumpye
    bumpye Posts: 15

So I went to the Naked Whiz"s sight to check out this Komodo Kamado, read the reviews and started to regret my BGE purchase until I went to Kamodo"s web sight and saw the price.HOLY #@&*%( it should be the Ferrari of cookers at that price. Maybe I'll buy one after I get my real Ferrari, 30' Grady White, and a Lear Jet.LOL