Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shopping for rubs

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Where do most of you buy your rubs?
Cookin in Texas

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Dizzy Pig, If you can't find it in a store near you, you can oder online. They have a locate a dealer section, where you enter your zip code and it'll tell you if any dealers are near by. You can buy a sample pack of 11 different rubs(3-4 tsp. each) to try and see which ones you like.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/index.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I make my own most of the time, if not.....dizzy pig.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Butt Rub and DP but my goto is a self- made coffee rub
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bad Byron Butt Rub

Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom

Pepper Pilot Java Lava

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I like Texas BBQ Rub for briskets and ribs, but I use DP on other things. John Henry makes some good stuff too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• rib rangler
    Options

making ur own is the best . experimenting makes the best rubs.. but dizzy pis rock!!!!

• Little Steven
    Options
    Primeggisters cluck and squeal rubs are very good. Hornhonk is distributing them in Texas at least.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sawtooth
    Options
    Read the label on most store bought rubs, most of the ingredents on that label you most likely have in your pantry. I always make my own and add different things depending on what I will be cooking  its a whole lot cheaper.
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    Starting using Dizzy Pig rubs. I used "Raging River" on cedar planked salmon. It was excellent. I'm going to try "Red Eye Express" on steaks tonight.
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    I like DP and some of the Weber ones but mostly I use, for home and my business Savory Spice Shop out of Denver. I know they've opened up a new shop in St Petersburg but I get everything online. They also carry just about every pepper, curry and sea salt known to man.
  • boatbum
    Options

I appreciate all the feedback - seems like consistently DP ranks up there.    Have not seen it locally - but will check out their web site.

Cookin in Texas
  • billyray
    Options

Besides the DP rubs, I make a espresso coffee rub, that I use alot

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

I tried this on some Ribeyes and there were great. It's a keeper for me.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Billyray:  I've been interested in trying a coffee rub.  Thanks for posting that.

I'll have to look around for ancho chile powder though.  Would it work with Chipotle or Cayenne?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • billyray
    Options
    Ancho is milder, so if you use the others, I would only do 1 to 1-1/2 tsp., instead of 1 Tbs.. McCormicks makes an Ancho chile powder and it was right next to their Chipotle in our local market.
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Billyray,

Thanks for sharing.  I made some up this morning and will be giving it a shot tonight. 

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • billyray
    Options
    I thought when I first tried it on Ribeyes, it might over power the meat, but it didn't. It just enhanced the flavor IMHO.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Options
    It seems that most good rubs are like that.  When you taste them alone they are quite potent but when added to meat and cooked they mellow out and enhance the flavor as you point out rather than overwhelming it.

I enjoy mixing up my own seasonings and really look forward to trying this one.  It seems similar to Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express.  I used that on some lambchops at Christmas and they were a big hit.

Thanks
  • billyray
    Options

hogaholic

I use Red Eye also, when I don't have time to make my own. I think the major difference in the one I make is espresso beans instead of regular coffee beans, the cocoa powder and the fennel seed. I hope it woks for you, let us know the outcome.

• hogaholic
    Options
    I made a double batch and stored it in a "recycled" seasoning container.  Will let you know how it turns out.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Our best selling dry rubs here at the store are- give them a try if you haven't already.

PLOWBOYS -Yardbird

Pepper Pilot -Rattlesteak

Dizzy Pig -Raging River

Rub Co -Barbecue rub

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Bobbareeno
    Options
    I have used dizzy pig and bad byrons. I like them both. I've recently been turned on to Daddy Hinkles rubs and marinades. I find their original flavor marinade for steaks to make the best steak I have ever had. They are out of Cleveland Oklahoma and have a nice website. I recently placed a large order from them and it arrived very quickly. Just curious if anyone else has tried it and what they think of it?

Bobbareeno
  • boatbum
    Options

when making a rub, how do you mix it?    I have seen the spice grinder one of the guys use on BBQ Pitmasters - is that what you use?

Cookin in Texas
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I like to get whole spices when possible, toast them for a couple minutes in a heavy pan and then I have a small coffee grinder that I use only for spices.
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Billyray - I used your rub recipe tonight on some thick butterfly pork chops. Outstanding. Thanks a lot!