Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To spatchcock or not to spatchcock turkey

Bakeman
Bakeman Posts: 113
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a 13lb turkey to cook. Just wondering what would be the best way to cook. Any suggestions?

Comments

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited February 2012
    I prefer Spatchcock chicken to beer can chicken, so I think that would translate well to turkey. Fred the Smokin' Guitar Player has an excellent instructional on Spatchcock turkey on YouTube. I'm spatchcocking a 5 lbs turkey breast on my med egg next week. Let us know how it turns out.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Spatchcock turkey is great-check out the link mentioned above for the info.  On a LBGE around 15#'s is the max size w/o having to get creative with the layout.  Cook to 160-165 in the breasts and 180 in the thighs-around 2.5 hrs , indirect at 350*F on the dome.  Definitely the way to go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bakeman,

If you have a turkey stand try it inverted (butt up).

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012
    Did this Sunday. Spatchcocked at 400 direct and raised with very little cherry and pecan chips. Combo coffee rub and Butt Rub. About an hour and a half (cook to temp not time please).image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Spatch is better, breast and thigh cooks from both sides evenly instead of primarily from the outside!
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Wow that looks great!  I have a turkey in my freezer!!! Think I may have to try that!
  • Bakeman
    Thanks everyone I am going spatchcocking!!!!
  • John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    Hey Micky, that looks out of this world. I'm fairly new to kamado cooking, but one thing I've noticed is that you seem to get superior flavor cooking over direct heat as opposed to indirect. I am definitely going to try this soon. I picked up some Tony Chocher's Injecting marinade on sale for real cheap the other day, I may use that on it as well.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Is there a weight limit to when a spatchcock turkey doesn't come out so well?  Can one do a 25lb turkey as well as a 10-15lb bird?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @IrishDevl-my 15# limit is driven by the floor space of the LBGE grid.  In addition to removing the backbone (as far as I go) you can take out the breastbone for more compaction.  If you have the XLBGE I don't see why it won't work for as big a turkey as you can fit-afterall-the 15# turkey is quite a scale-up from a 5# chicken.  Give it a go and let us know:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Thanks and I will.  Not sure when, but it is good to know the only limit is the size of the egg not bird.
  • I gotta do one, I gotta do one!  My wife saw the pics and said "You gotta do one!"  I watched all the videos and figure I'll use my handy-dandy tin-snips to cut out the backbone.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Simple.....Easy.....Moist.....Did I mention easy? 
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Bakeman
    What's the best way, direct or indirect?
  • Fred the smokin' guitar player does his indirect with potatoes and other vegetables on top of the plate setter. The juice from the bird flavors the vegetables. It's on YouTube. You should definitely check it out. I've only ever cooked it elevated direct, but I plan on giving Fred's method a try.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL