Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan Question/Idea

Options
gte1
gte1 Posts: 379
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Did a pork butt for the SB yesterday, and as usual there is a drip pan full of fat renderings which start to sizzle and pop after a while. I was thinking about putting some coarse sand in the drip pan, like you do in the tray of your gas Q under the burners. Has anybody tried this? Seems like it would soak up the greese. Dumb idea or not??

George

George

Comments

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited February 2012
    Options

George, adding sand to the drip pan sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea. Anything you put in your egg can, and will flavor your food.  This is one reason you would never use pine chunks for smoke.   When initially setting up your egg for a butt smoke, just fill the drip pan with water.  Most of it will evaporate, but there should be plenty to get you through the cook, and if it starts to dry just add more.  You can use other liquids as well, but remember anything like apple juice that has a high sugar content will evaporate more quickly and will caramelize in your pan making a damn mess.    I think you'll be satisfied with the results you get with water. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• smokin eddie
    Options
    What if you use apple juice in a throw-away aluminum pan?  Is the throw-away pan a bad idea?
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I just line my drip pan with double HD foil. Set it on the patio after the cook till the fat is hard and it all comes up in the foil. I just had this crazy thought that something to soak up the grease might be a good. idea.
    George
  • Philicious
    Options
    I just smoked 2 butts for 13 hours and put a mixture of apple juice and water in an aluminum pan and never had to add any.  The pan was quite full to start with though.  I just throw the pans away.  If you go to Big Lots or a dollar store, you wont mind throwing them each time.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Baysidebob
    Options

I have a glass (not plastic) baseter to suck up drippings I want to save (like from duck) before they burn up. If I don't want to save them I skip the drip pan and let them sizzle away on the stone or coals. Other Q's like a gas Weber have "flavorizer bars" to burn off the drippings and give better flavor. Some like Charbroil use lava rock. The point is that burning fat adds something to the flavor. It's a pre-historic taste that reaches our most primitive genes. That's what distinguishes barbecue from the oven in your kitchen along with whatever smoke wood you choose, if any.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    I cover the platesetter with foil and a drip pan with water. When I started the Egg yesterday, I couldn't get rid of the bad smoke. Bout an hr. in I checked it out. There were dried drippings on the platesetter that were burning off that I didnt catch. Couldn't do anything till it was burnt off.1.5 hours later perfectly clean and on with the cook. Tin foil is our friend
    LET'S EAT