Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank goodness for convection ovens

hogaholic
hogaholic Posts: 225
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did two butts for a super bowl party (Go G-Men) last night.  Put them own Saturday night around 8:30 pm.  These were large butts, about 9 lbs each.  Went to bed with the dome temp steady at 260.  Woke up 7 hours later to find it had dropped to about 210 and I don't know how long it had been there.  Got it back up to 250-275 where it needed to be but the butts were still in plateau at 3pm and I needed to have the pork pulled by kickoff ((5:30 pm CST). 

So, I pulled them off and put them in my indoor convection oven at 375.  Fortunately the higher temps forced them right through the plateau and they hit 195 at 4:30.  Let it rest for 45 minutes and I had enough pulled for sandwiches just at kickoff.  It was great too.

I think I lost a lot of cook time with the overnight fall in temp.  This cook verified, however, that butts are one of the easiest things to cook because even when you screw it up, they still turn out great.  Very forgiving.
Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)

Comments

• The technical term for that is Plan B.

Nice save.  Congratulations !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Plan B, maybe even Plan C, is an ideal description.  Thanks

The only negative was, compared to slowly moving through the plateau, all that rendered fat and collagen didn't have time to drip out of the meat.  It was a bit greasier than I prefer, but it sure was moist and tasty!  A small price to pay for "saving" the cook. 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

You were not tempted to run the egg at a higher temp?  I had the same situation with my butts, but I choose to take egg up to 325 to help things along. 

• I had nearly run out of charcoal.  If I had time I would have finished the cook in the egg, but I was so pressed for time that I couldn't wait to add new lump and get it lit and stable.  Much quicker to use the oven this time.