Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Filets

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is something I don't do often but these came out very good and I got good marks from my wife (you guys know what that means - a pleasant evening with no grumping). Pictured are 2 salmon filets cut into 4 pieces. The three toward the bottom have a coating of OldBay, butter, lemon that was mixed into a thin paste and spread on both sides. The top filet is covered in Char-Crust Hickory/molasses. It was devine. Cooked at 400 deg for 12 min flipping every 5-6 min.
There is more on my web site under salmon.[p]Tim

[ul][li] --- Tim's Website Cookbook ---[/ul]

Comments

• Tim M
    Options
    salmon1.jpg
    <p />Tim M,
    Yea, I know - I forgot the picture. Gotta stop with those Juleps.[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Nice job. Those look great. Have you tried cooking it right on the grate? I don't have any problems with sticking, and only flip once. Actually it looks like what you are using works great, especially if you flip them often.[p]Again, those look great. I think I like salmon better that way, then low and slow. A nice golden brown crust, tender and juicy inside. Occasionally the Shoppers Food Warehouse up the road will have "steelhead/trout salmon", which cooks up very nicely. It looks like the other salmon meat, but has a slightly different texture and flavor.[p]I am gonna start experimenting with a lemon-curry rub/paste, with coconut/lemon/curry dipping sauce. I have been developing the recipe for years using a fry pan, but want to try adapting it to the egg. Think it would be good?[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I am a real novice when it comes to fish. I am not crazy about any and so I don't cook it often. Getting good fresh fish is the trick. I like salmon and there just ain't much caught `round this here parts. We have found a local market that has very fine fish and meats and the salmon last night was fresh as can be had in Virginia. With the Char-Crust it was really good. The Old Bay paste is also very good.
    I did do fish once on the grid and it came apart. I bought the fish grid and its as close as you can get to direct on the main grid and if the fish falls apart - I can carry the whole try in the house (did that once too).[p]I cooked the salmon at 400 this time (last time it was 350) and I liked it better at higher temp. Not bad at all.
    I told my wife we have to get an Egg for the house at the beach - we eat fish there much more often.[p]Tim

• Tim M,
    When doing fillets don't take the skin off, season just the one side. Salmon cooks quickly at 400* and turning isn't needed, with the skin on the salmon stays together when handling, also helps keep the moisture
    level higher.
    Jim[p]

• Teslamania
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Try Fresh Fields for salmon. We have had great luck with their fish.