Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermomoter

Options
daveshannon
daveshannon Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
how do you calibrate your thermomoter

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I think that water freezes at 32°F at all altitudes, but boils at a different temp based on altitude.  To get the boiling point for your altitude, go to this converter.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• ribmaster
    Options

Look at the probe, about 3 inch up will be a groove. Hold the tip in boiling water up to that groove.

Temp should be about 212. let probe cool and adjust the nut on the back of the dial however much it was off.

Retest. you can do it without cooling with an open end wrench. Altitude will make a small difference but not enough to burn anything or make a cook late.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Boiling water will read 1 degree less for every 500 feet in elevation. (i.e. 212 @ sea level, 202 @ 5,000 feet.)
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.