Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!!!!PLEASE!!!!

manthe10pt
manthe10pt Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Pork
I just read (via car wash mike's rib recipe because the salt can pull out some of the moisture from the ribs) that you should not put the rub on your ribs until an hour or 2 before cooking.  I put mine on a few hours ago and am not cooking them until tomorrow.  Should I rinse the rub off??  Help please!  Thanks.

Comments

• how much salt is in your rub?

• I put my Dizzy pig on this afternoon and I'm putting the ribs on the egg at 9am tomorrow - I read the same thing on that site while getting my ribs ready - dude - I wouldn't worry about it.

But hey, doesn't hurt to wash it off.  I don't even think they need it as you'll be saucing it at the end...I just used the rub as I feel bad buying it and not using it - but I didn't use a whole lot - so I'm not worried about it 'drying out'.

Maybe he meant two hours for the mustard.

And if you leave it on, and do feel it may be drying out, just tent it with some tinfoil and that should hold in some of the moisture from your drip pan.  And you'll be spritzing it too, right?  I wouldn't worry about it.

Gotta pick me up some apple juice in the morning.

Good luck with your ribs.

I love my egg.
  • 1 tablespoon of salt was in the rub. It was spread out over 3 racks, and I didnt quite use all the rub.

talltrevor...thanks for the advice.....I will be picking up my apple cider vinegar tomorrow..  Good luck with your ribs too!!!

• I would just roll with it, take notes on how it comes out and then try it the other way next time. Always good to be able to compare what works and what doesn't for you. You could also grab another rack or two in the morning and rub them two hours before, cook at same time and compare finished product side by side.
  • no worries with that much salt
  • Proceeded with your cook Brother. You'll be just fine. Really try to leave them on until the meat retracts 1.5 inches from the bone. On my last rib cook, I took mine off after 5.5 hours and the meat had only retracted about 3/4 of an inch. Probably could have stayed on at least another hour. Best of luck on the cook.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Well. It's Super Bowl Sunday and I'm doing baby backs. And with little ones and a wife who think black pepper is too hot I'm included to just cook 'em today to see how they come out. And just put whatever I want on them when they're out and let them eat them bare or with a little homemade brown sugar based sauce. That's today's plan, anyway. Go Ribs!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    it isn't possible to dry out meat by adding salt. and certainly not in the amounts in any rub.

it's just not possible.  don't worry about it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante