Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs disaster

brad11140
brad11140 Posts: 44
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I got the idea to smoke some ribs today. They were pork spare ribs. Setup my BGE for indirect. I did not clean out my grill this time like I have other times. Got up to temp, let everything settle out than put the ribs on. From there it was downhill. Temp never recovered and I could not get the temp back up. I tried shaking the grate a couple times and this would result in a temperature spike, but it would come back down. Took everything out, added more charcoal. Still could not get temp up. We are now trying to finish them off in the oven. What a freakin nightmare. I don't know why my egg is not holding temp. Could it be because it wasn't clean.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    I can almost guarantee you the charcoal grate got clogged.  Next time, take a hanger through the lower vent and poke upward to clear clogged holes.  At night it's really easy to tell as the clogged ones are black and the unclogged ones are fire red.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Well on a good note they came out awesome. Finishing in the oven was certainly not how I planned to do it, but the 4 hours they sat on the egg certainly gave them great flavor and tenderness. Our guests ate till they could  eat no more which is a good sign. I am guessing that you are right and the grate was clogged. I have a high-q grate on the way so I can't wait for that and I will be cleaning the egg in between grilling every time from now on.
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I know there are some who say they never clean their Egg, personally every 3rd cook or so, especially before an "important" cook, I'll pull everything out and vacuum all,the ash out!
  • I have been cleaning out before every cook and no problems. I decided not to yesterday and paid for it. So I really cleaned it good today. Pulled everything out to include the firebox and ring. Vacuumed it out real good. Now Ill just wait for my High-Que grate to get here before cooking again.