Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Hens

bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited February 2012 in Poultry
Hello,

Any information on cooking on Egg would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Phil

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012

This is off the Mini. 375/400 direct with the Woo on. Can be the same on a Large just raised. I use Cluck & Squeel or Butt Rub. (hit pic's to make larger). I do like the 24oz  over the 18 oz birds.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Cook it just like you would a spatchcock chicken, or if you want to go Beer Can Chicken route, use a small juice can.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Griffin note that last picture. I just got an iPad for Christmas and found an app that will do all kinds of stuff to a picture. Would work real good for you on your blog.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin

Thanks, Mickey, but I don't have an iPad. You can do similar things with photobucket (which is what I use) if you go to edit and then decorate. You spelled sheekan wrong, though. LOL image

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey

Thanks, used PB for years and never saw that...... and that damn spellcheck is just not working.....

• Thank you for the information.  These "birds" are 20 oz.  I have the 9 1/2 inch mini.  I will have to try the cook on my large BGE.  Please tell me again how to raise the grid.  I forgot ;=(.  I have never had a cornish hen before.  Are they good to eat?  Do you brine the bird.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Phil
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012

No, I do not brine any birds. To raise the grid use foil wrapped bricks is the easy/fast way. Call Tom when you get ready for an Adj Rig: ceramicgrillstore.com

• Griffin

Cornish game hens are great. I think at one time there might have been a particular bird that was used, but now I think its just younger chickens that haven't gotten as big. I could be totally wrong, it's happened before, once.... :))

Come to think of it....I'm not sure I've ever cooked one on my Egg. It's been awhile since I cooked one at all. need to change that.

Rowlett, Texas

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Dang things are too pricey here in my neck of the woods ..... :-O
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Another vote for eating the hens.  I use to rotisserie them on the gas grill; they be very good on the BGE.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I smoked cornish hens once, came out fantastic.  Used a Dizzy rub (can't remember which).  They are small enough where the skin will get crispy from smoking.