Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placing Maverick 732 dome probe in large BGE.

Options
Stickyfingers
Stickyfingers Posts: 0
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just wondering how you place Maverick 732 BBQ temp probe in your BGE. I was hoping it would fit through temperature probe hole in dome, but no luck. I would like to get it high in dome for good reading.  Any ideas or photos out there???

Thanks

Comments

• troutgeek
    Options
    Well, it's not really a dome probe, but rather a grill probe.  It comes with a clamp to connect it to the grill grid.  I usually just make sure it's above the platesetter, and not touching the food.  At first, it will read about 25 degrees cooler than the dome.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I put mine on the grate as well.  Use standard BGE dome thermo to get me in the ball park temp wise during startup then fine tune to desired temp with Maverick. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Since most posts on here talk about dome temp, I drop mine in the daisy wheel about level with the BGE gauge. Since you only need the maverick on low and slow cooks this seems to work great for me.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Whenever possible, I measure the temp where the meat is, and that is meat/grid level.  If you're measuring up in the dome, you're just guessing what the temp is at grid level.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I too drop the probe from the daisy wheel. Just makes more sense to me.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Great "Old North State" minds think alike! Must be in the water.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC