Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger Fatty

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, I was thinking about smoking a sausage fatty for the super bowl watch party.  I was looking around and it seems that a sausage fatty is more of a breakfast item.  I then stumbled upon a link for a "Hamburger fatty."  Same premise as a sausage fatty, but you use 85/15 hamburger meat.  
I planned on following http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/how-to-roll-a-fattie/, but replacing the sausage with the burger meat.  Any ideas or words of experience with such a cook?

Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Just go about 3/4 down this post: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136600/whodathunkit/p1   to BOWHUNR's post of a killer fatty (yes killer is the word for it). Also i see your piggy, if close please come ot Salado March 17th.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bhugg
    Options
    I plan on coming, but I fear it will be a weekend decision.  We will be in Houston that Friday to Sunday. I was hoping to drive up 35 and stop in for a while.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Not a whole lot of difference between a fattie and a meatloaf ... it's all good!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bhugg
    Options
    but do you agree that a sausage fatty is more of a breakfast item?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • medic119
    Options

I would agree that it is great with breakfast, but change the rub and sauce and cook a pot of beans, you have a one egg meal.

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • bhugg
    Options
    If I did go with hamburger meat, the size would basically be a slider, right?  So I would serve on say a role of some sort.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I could eat a sausage fattie any time of day or night for that matter. Once in a while, I'll have bacon-n-eggs for dinner (supper)

You could also mix sausage & hamburger together to create another flavor profile ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A good fattie is stuffed. Cheese, peppers, onions, etc. Kind of like a tubular pizza without the bread. Way fancier than anything I'd expect for breakfast.

I also wonder if a roll of just beef will cook well. Meatloaf is often mostly beef, but pork, milk soaked bread crumbs and eggs, as well as Wooster and ketchup are common additions. If you think beef is more dinner like, maybe get some beef brats, and turn them into a roll.
  • JayHawkEye
    Options

The first fattie I made was 1/2 hamburger 1/2 Italian sausage - wrapped in bacon-weave with cream cheese, shredded cheese, onions and pablanos. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the sausage only fatties I have made since.

Imho, sausage fatties are not necessarily breakfast fatties unless you want them to be (stuffing wise). If I was going to use hamburger I would either make burgers/sliders (juicy lucy's!) or meatloaf.

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA