Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is why BGE is world class...

Options
smokinsooner
smokinsooner Posts: 161
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Let me start by saying...as I'm quite sure we all do, I take great care of my XL Egg. It's covered when not in use... it hasn't been out of the nest since the day I brought it home, it's secured, cleaned and doesn't have a scratch or a chip on the outside. It still looks very new.

I haven't been able to cook since 1/11/12. That day, I was cleaning up the egg, removed all of the guts, clearing out all ash, etc.... and my heart skipped a few beats. Panic and horror set in...I couldn't breathe,
Looking down into the base, I found a crack in the bottom... the fire grate was cracked all the way through from the edge to the center, the fire ring is cracked all the way through from top to  bottom, (but is still a ring) and even the plate setter was cracked, but not all the way through. 

(If anyone has ideas or speculations on how this damaged could have happened...I'm all ears)

I was so stressed out I didn't take pictures upon my discovery, and couldn't get good pics taken in the dark/ rain for a few of the following days. Finally my wits returned and I started the process, not knowing what the outcome would be.

I contacted my dealer, they forwarded my proof of sale and warranty replacement card, I emailed the warranty guy, sent him way too many pictures of the damage along with written details of what I was seeing. He responded the same day to let me know he had sent all of the information over to BGE. This all happened on Wednesday...(yea, two days ago).

Today I my dealer called and told me my replacement will be there on Monday.

There was no haggling, negotiations, or begging needed. Just some pictures and description of the damage along with the aforementioned info from the dealer. The warranty people at Paragon were amazing, the resolution of this situation sets customer service and company integrity standards to an unbeatable level. My blood pressure dropped significantly ... my hair has stopped falling out, and I won't cry myself to sleep again tonight! I'll christen the new egg with a couple of spatchcocked yardbirds on Monday night, raise my glass and give a soulful Fat Tire toast to BGE... and perhaps, do a little dance.

Simply amazing.

BOOMER!

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Options
    I have read that BGE def.stands behind their product and am glad to have such a great network of Awesome cooks to pull experience from.
    LET'S EAT
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yep, the people at Paragon are all good guys(even the girls).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I got a new Egg for christmas, delivered and assembled by the dealer.  Top cap had quite a few chunks out of it - in general the top dome had several places where you saw white spots, no paint.

Had the delivery/assembly guys note all this on the paperwork.   Took photos into the dealer the next week.   Last time I checked with the dealer 2 weeks ago, he said he was waiting to hear.

Been over a month now, havent heard anything.  This thread got me thinking about it again, will call the dealer again see if they have heard anything yet.    When you pay that much for something, you hope someone is standing behind it.

That said, I love the Egg, love cooking on it.  These things were appearance related doesnt affect cooking.   I do have some concerns long term if it will cause additional flaking of the surface.

Have to admit, did leave a bit of sour taste in my mouth, the apparent lack of concern from my dealer.

Cookin in Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

If the dealer is slacking email bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com and attach a photo and probably your warranty card if you have it. I have had an egg crack before and sent a photo and got a new bottom with no hassles and it doesn't take 2 weeks I got a reply email within hours. My parents bought a large over Thanksgiving and there was a big bubble in the bottom side of the rain cap that wouldn't allow it to sit properly on the egg and they emailed him a pic and he sent them a new one. I don't think I have ever heard a negative experience with the eggs customer service but I have heard negatives about dealers.