Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

santa maria tri-tip

BGEBrianBGEBrian Posts: 24
edited 10:03PM in EggHead Forum
I am planning on doing a "santa maria" tri-tip this weekend. how should I cook this on the BGE?? time, wood chips, temp, etc..
can someone help me?

·

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BGEBrian,[p]One version of the Santa Maria Tri-Tip rub is:
    3 tablespoons sea salt
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind[p]Purists use grilling temps of 350° - 400° with oak chunks until the internal is around 125°, rest and slice against the grain. Note that there are two grain directions as you move from end to end.[p]I also do at them at 250° to the same internal temp, but baste every now and then.[p]Good luck, I'm sure you will like this cut.
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • BGEBrianBGEBrian Posts: 24
    thirdeye,[p]How rare is the center at 125 deg. F? Is that the recommended internal temp for tri-tip? how long does it take to get to 125?[p]thanks for the advice?
    ·
  • Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
    BGEBrian,[p]In Santa Maria, they do it over an open oakwood fire, not a closed charcoal fire. I have had it there, and I have made my own on the BGE, and I like mine better![p]Here is what I do: trim off much of the fat. Marinate the meat in whatever, for about a day, in the fridge. [p]Bring the BGE to 500 degrees, including some wood chunks. Sear the lean side for 5 minutes. Flip it and sear the fat side for 5 min.[p]Now shut the vents a little and cook it for another 20 min., with the temp around 350. Test internal temp -- take it off at 135 internal and let it rest 5 min. in foil. [That makes it absorb the juices -- don't know why, but it works.] Slice thin on the diagonal against the grain.[p]If you want to be authentic, serve it with pico de gallo salsa, pinquito beans [like small pintos], iceberg lettuce salad, hot sourdough rolls, and Zinfandel. Beer works, too.[p]The best place to eat the real thing is in a parking lot -- on weekends, Kiwanis and Rotary and so forth set up tri tip fundraisers in shopping center parking lots in Santa Maria.

·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BGEBrian,[p]During the resting time, the temp will rise slightly and the juices settle out through the roast. If you pull it at 125° the center will be be warm and pink when serving. If you want it medium, (hot & pink) try pulling it at 130° to 135°.[p]At grilling temps, plan on about 30 minutes cooking time, turning several times. At the lower barbecue temps, mine go 1-1/2 to 2 hours.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    BGEBrian,
    Mine are done low and slow first to 125, then a rest, then a sear. I like this way becasue if I need extended time to get other items ready I can hold off the sear a little longer and it doesnt ruin the med rare I'm looking for.

·
  • WingnutWingnut Posts: 26
    Prof Dan,[p]I have worked at some of the events that you speak of, and some in SLO. I did that part time while at Handcock.[p]Very good bunch of people.[p]Wingnut

·