Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to purchase the best pork?

Options
ellisjb0
ellisjb0 Posts: 10
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm Egging a butt overnight Saturday for the SB, but my go-to butcher is already sold out of butts and shoulders. Now I'm stuck with grocery store pork. I realize that, if smoked properly, a crappy piece of meat turns into amazing 'q, but I am really trying to do it big for the game. Anybody have any suggestions as to where I should procure the best quality butt possible? Below are my listed options: 

Whole Foods 
Fresh Market 
Trader Joe's 
Costco

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do costco shoulders all the time. You have to buy like 18 pounds at a time though. I don't think it really matters that much I have gotten them from kroger, publix, ingles, BJs, Costco and they all taste the same. Costcos come bone out already atleast in my area.
  • ellisjb0
    Options
    Costco size may be a little big for what I'm looking for to be honest
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Costco's are packed 2 to a package. So each is in the 7 to 9 lb. range. Cook 1 and freeze one if 2 are too much.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I would make sure I found one with a bone, was thinking the costo was boneless.
    Cookin in Texas
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    Do you have any restaurant supply places that sell to the public in your area?  If I am doing a big cook, I get stuff from one that we have locally.  I can get anything from 2 buts and have gotten several hundred pounds at once.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Costco's are boneless.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • ellisjb0
    Options
    Yeah, I don't do boneless....
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    aren't costco's simply two 8-pound bone-in boston butts?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    About 8 pounds but no bone. Just pulled 2 off the BGE. Won't make the "no bone" mistake again, although they looked great before I wrapped them up.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I cook them no bone all the time and they come out great just like the bone in I used to get from BJs. I actually like the bone out because it gives you more area for rub and you get more bark. I did (2) 9 pounders for new years bone out and they were amazing. I have never found the bone to make any difference in the results. I am actually about to head to Costco to get some shoulders, ribs, and chicken wings for our super bowl party. Went and picked up the Shiner Bock keg this am.
  • YukonBill
    Options
    I also prefer my butcher for the best stuff but I've had nothing but success with costco boneless shoulders, especially when you consider the price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
  • paulheels
    Options
    My experience; pork shoulder is pork shoulder is pork shoulder. I've cooked it all.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.