Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question on smoking a 15.63lb Brisket

Options
Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 57
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Was wondering if people do anything to keep the "flat" from drying out when doing a long (24hr) cook? I will have a probe in the 'Point" and have a thermapen to test the flat if I  need to. 
Any n all help would be appreciated!

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I'm not really an expert but why 24 hrs? I've done lots of 14 lb'ers from 8-12 frs and most were great.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    My last 15 pound brisket, I put one probe in the point, and one in the flat, and graphed it with my Stoker.  Throughout the entire 21 hour cook, they were both within a degree or two of each other.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Travisstrick, at 1.5 hrs a pound it comes out to be about 24hrs. I'll b shooting for a grate temp of 230-240. 
    VI, thats good know. So u think I'm good to just load up the Egg and let it go?? How long did your last 15lb brisket take? at what internal temp did u pull it off at?
    Thanks guys
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    D.E.M.O. (hey, your name is an acronym !)

Here is a graph of the 15# brisket.  Notice the two lines, one for the point, one for the flat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

@ OP-make sure you clean out the ash deposits and have good air flow for the long cook.  Lucky that you can get packers as all I can find are flats.  If time becomes an issue, search "fast brisket" and you will find lots of posts about speeding things up.

Enjoy the journey and leave time to wrap and pack (HDAF and towels in a cooler) the meteorite before slicing.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Probe in flat here.   the 10 pound I did last week went 18 hours.  at 195  - still resistance when poking the meat - magically after going over 200 - huge change when poking the thermometer in.   I think actual temp is a function of the individual piece of meat - but good for general rule of thumb.

my grate temp was closer to 210-220 for the first 16 hours, bumped it up a fair amount after the stall to get it over the top.   Certainly not an expert - but just recent experience I had.

Cookin in Texas
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Haha I never noticed it was an acronym. I need to get me a stoker that is really cool. 
    I will make sure I clean out all the ash before I get started. 
    Thanks all