Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking in the rain ?

fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
 It never fails. Whenever I plan a big cook the BBQ gods all get together and rain on my parade literally.

My son requested that we have his 16 th birthday party at our house , and that I cook. I took that as a pretty hefty complement from a 16 year old.

Any how ;  butts, abt's, wings this is my part. Party is saterday evening . Forecast is rain friday night and saterday .

Do you do anything different when cooking in the rain ? I was thinking maybe a stove vent cap over the daisy wheel ?

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Seems like that happens to me a lot also. I have mine under a covered area now. I bet you could get one of those ez up tents or a large umbrella that would help you out if it's not super windy. And yes that is a great compliment. Good luck.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I have not had any trouble cooking in the rain so far. I have seen people use the different kinds of rain caps though. I bet you could make something out of a coat hanger and tin foil if it becomes a problem.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I have not had any trouble cooking in the rain so far. I have seen people use the different kinds of rain caps though. I bet you could make something out of a coat hanger and tin foil if it becomes a problem.
    MacGuyver lives !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if it's not a downpour, it's not really a concern. but yeah, stove-pipe caps, umbrellas...

mine's under an umbrella, but that's more about me staying dry than it is the egg or the food under the chimney (top vent)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I use a piece of roof flashing, it bends easily.  Put a little corner under the edge of the daisy wheel and then bend it they way you want it.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I am actually considering a Stove hood (restaurant grade with a hefty vent fan) in my garage so I can cook in the garage if necessary - as long as I keep the grill away from flammable materials.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I bet you could def. make a cap out of some thin metal piping. Some small self tapping screws and some tin snips. When I have an issue like this I generally just head to the hardware store and walk around. Something will jump out at you. They may even make a little vent of some sort that would work. Maybe something you would see on top of metal roof vents.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    there are standard stove pipe caps which fit.

but honestly, a piece of foil wrapped around the daisy handle is cheaper and easier than anything
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Use a galvanized water heater vent cap. It fits a large BGE perfect.
  • Renovate your house to include an outdoor kitchen with a 60" Vent-a-hood

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you don't happen to have an outdoor kitchen hangin' around, a'la hogaholic (Dang that's nice), as mentioned, get a stove pipe cap. Mine was about $7. Works great in thunderstorms. You may need help with an umbrella if you have to turn food. Otherwise, the Egg ignores downpours.
  • Just drink more beer and sing in the rain! I have cooked in the rain quite a few times. No worries, as long as the flood gates don't open
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Well I picked up a 6" stove pipe top hat. It fits over the daisy wheel on the xl perfect.
    100% chance of rain and thunderstorms YE HAW !
  • Raining in Kentucky right now. Got a chuck going. Made a rain tent out of aluminum foil. Tucked one corner under the daisey wheel and wrapped the other end around daisey handle..not a problem!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    don't forget to put the thermometer unit in a zip lock bag.  Seems like every low and slow lately has had light rain develop half way through the cook and I have to run out and protect meat thermometer.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hogaholic you got it. I need that vent but inside my house.

It's raing here today. I have one of those expanable cover with the aluminum frame canopy's for my offset when it's raining. I have to use it in my driveway. It weighs 245 lbs and I ani't lifting that thing up stairs. It cooks good but it's a constant baby sitting, not near as easy as the BGE.

Located in Western North Carolina
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Mustgrill,

THe Vent-a-Hood was necessary to keep smoke out of my screened-in proch.  We spend a lot of time out here when the weather is nice.  At the bottom of the steps we poured a porch with an outdoor fireplace. 

I really wanted a place to cook regardless of the weather.  We added this project onto a kitchen expansion 4 years ago and have really enjoyed it.  I can't put a price on the time we have enjoyed out there with the kids and good friends.  To me that what outdoor cooking is all about.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)