Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting Lump

mustgrill
mustgrill Posts: 141
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have now used my BGE 3 times. I have found that it takes about 40 mins to get the lump to where it is ready to go. I am using the BGE fire starters. I have been using a chimney starter for so long that I having troulble adjusting to 40 mins. I am use to using lump it is all I have used for more than 10 years. I am thinking about the BBQ Guru Golf Club. Anyone have any experience with the Golf Club? An electric starter is not an option. Any advice is welcome?  

Located in Western North Carolina

Comments

• If you want to get the lump going quicker, look into a MAPP torch or a weed burner.  I use a weed burner if I'm in a big hurry.

Usually I'm not in a hurry, so I like to use 91% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart.  It has no chemical smell and the byproduct is carbon dioxide.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Propane torch?...Alcohol?... I have no problem getting my egg too temps over 600 in 15-20 minutes using either method. I have also used the Webe starter cubes with success, they are less expensive than GBE starters. Are you opening the bottom vent all the way and removing the cap? Be sure all the vent holes are clean.
  • Flame thrower? Thats a great idea. I got the BGE up to 600+ last night but it was 40 mins. I have a weed burner. Cooking beef fillets wrapped with bacon, I'll try that. thanx.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I use the starter cubes, cut one into four piece and then light them in a circle.  I find that if I leave the lid open until there is nice bit charcoal burning, usually less than 5 minutes.  Then I close the lid with the cap removed and the bottom vent fully open.  As the temperature reaches my target I will start closing the bottom vent and eventually add the top vent control usually open just a sliver.  I can usually control the last 10 - 15º using the top vent.

Gerhard
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You have a left over tank from the old gasser, the flame thrower is found on sale at $19, so.......... Just use a Mapp for the Mini please....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I use a handheld propane torch, which is much faster than the starter bricks and one tank will last quite a while.  You can pick one up at Lowes or Home Depot for about $20. Got to make sure the vent holes are clear.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I have only ever used a chimney - and it is usually ready in < 15 minutes - and if I am in a hurry - an old hair dryer gets the airflow going pretty good... 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I have only ever used a chimney - and it is usually ready in < 15 minutes - and if I am in a hurry - an old hair dryer gets the airflow going pretty good... 
    I think the problem with a chimney is that you can easily get too much lump burning, not really a problem with grilling but for low and slow not so good.

Gerhard
  • Propane torch is the ticket.  Been using one for 3 years.

Harbor Freight sells one for less than 20 bucks.  Get the one without the starter and pick up a welder's sparker to light the torch.  Don't worry, the torch has a valve to adjust the flame from tiny to flame-thrower size.  It isn't unsafe at all in my opinion.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Propane torch is the ticket.  Been using one for 3 years.

Harbor Freight sells one for less than 20 bucks.  Get the one without the starter and pick up a welder's sparker to light the torch.  Don't worry, the torch has a valve to adjust the flame from tiny to flame-thrower size.  It isn't unsafe at all in my opinion.

I agree, although with a full tank held upside down, the flame goes yellow. I discovered, if you readjust the valve while inverted closer to closed it goes back to blue.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012

Squeezy and Hogaholic: I think you two guys talking about two different lighters? In the first and second pic you only handle the head and the gasbottle sits where you have it. On the third pic you hold it all at once. Do not use the first and second picture to light that Mini (don't ask).....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Mine is just the small LP bottle with the plumbers tip.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

I think the problem with a chimney is that you can easily get too much lump burning, not really a problem with grilling but for low and slow not so good.

Gerhard
    You can fill the chimney half way for low and slow; although for low and slow I use a fire starting cube cut in half since I only need a small fire.

I have an XL so I use 2 chimneys for grilling if I need a lot of hot surface area.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

Squeezy and Hogaholic:  In the first and second pic you only handle the head and the gasbottle sits where you have it. 

Looking at picture two, I notice there is no regulator.  I guess that's not needed for this purpose?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I took the plunge and orderd the propane golf club.
  • Squeezy and Hogaholic:  In the first and second pic you only handle the head and the gasbottle sits where you have it. 

Looking at picture two, I notice there is no regulator.  I guess that's not needed for this purpose?
    Doesn't need a regulator.  Connects straight into my 20 lb propane bottle underneath my (rarely-used) gasser.

Here is the one I use from Harbor Freight.  3+ years of pretty heavy use and still going strong.

imageimagehttp://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Welder's flint striker to light the torch

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welding-accessories/flint-striker-96084.html
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • I actually don't mind using a chimney for low and slow's on my XL. I fill my firebox like always (big to little) and then light 1/3 to 1/2 a chimney and spread it evenly on the front 2/3 of the stacked lump (it burns to the back).

For every-day grilling sessions when I'm not starting with a completely fresh set of lump I use an electric starter. Let it go for 5 minutes or so and then swirl the coals to distribute the heat.

Have never used the fire starters simply because I don't want to buy them.

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA