Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Boston Butt or Pork Shoulder

TigerDunesTigerDunes Posts: 38
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was just reading an article on FB BGE site which I will attach.
For pulled pork, which cut of pork do you use? Boston Butt or Pork Shoulder?
Is this a matter of personal preference or is one cut better than another?
Thanks for reading and your replies.

http://ruhlman.com/2012/02/east-carolina-barbecue-recipe/

Comments

• boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

Always thought they were the same thing -- the one with the bone is the top part of the shoulder, the one without the bone is the bottom part.   I prefer the bone part.

Cookin in Texas
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,856
    Both are the "shoulder"
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,610
    pork shoulder is made up of the butt and picnic shoulder. butt pulls nice and clean, picnic has some darker meat but more fat and grissle and also more flavor. they both have a bone
  • And a whole shoulder is often called a new york shoulder. Usually about 17 to 22 lbs

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm with fishlessman.  The picnic has more varied flavors and textures but is harder to get right because of the extra fat and gristle.  Usually takes a few more hours than a butt of the corresponding weight.  No matter what make sure you get a bone-in.  That goes for just about anything cooked on a grill or smoker.