Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fish sauce

bigearl
bigearl Posts: 25
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to get some to try in things like burgers.  I've read on here that different brands of fish sauce smell and taste significantly different.  What do you guys recommend as the best fish sauce to buy?  
huh?

Comments

• Yea really, I wanna know that too. **==
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I would consult VillageIdiot. He seems to use it a lot.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    three crabs is the one i use, also have some type of italian fish sauce ( Colatura), and some worchestershire sauce. i wouldnt buy the italian stuff again, way to pricey and the three crabs is top notch
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Same as fishlessman.  I use Three Crabs brand because that is what Grace Young said she uses (author of Breath of a Wok, and Stir Frying to The Sky's Edge).  

For a picture, click here.

I had also bought some colatura from Italy ($20 for 3 oz) and couldn't tell the difference from 3 Crabs.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    First time I went to buy fish sauce at a market where I am a regular, the counter lady asked "what do you want this for?" I said I heard it was good mixed with meats and stews. She replied "no. no, this is too strong. it is for special occasions." The bottle was small, the contents cloudy. She took me back down the aisle, and pointed to wine bottle sizes. "These are for everyday."

I bought one with a squid on the label. It was clear, and not very impressive. Next purchase was 3 Crabs. Better.

But for my taste, I prefer to mix a dab of anchovy paste into whatever.

• But for my taste, I prefer to mix a dab of anchovy paste into whatever.
    Actually, you are approximating fish sauce, since it is fermented anchovies.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2012

After all the talk I thought if I am going to try it get the real good stuff. Was told Red Boat Fish Sauce was the top of the line. Hell it should be. I was out $23. to order (so good you can't buy it in Texas) and got 2 smallish bottles. I gave away one bottle on the Christmas exchange and still have not opened the top of the bottle I kept. I wish Village Idiot had said somthing then as I would be out say $7.00 total for the two bottles. That way I would have $7.00 invested in something, not the $23....... If Gary said try it, do it......

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gosh, thanks Mickey.  My choice wasn't due to vast research of the various brands.  I just went with what Grace Young said in her books.

While we're at it, she recommended Nikkoman Organic Soy Sauce because "the flavor is clean and fresh."  I just bought some, but haven't opened the bottle yet.  I bought my last bottle of an Asian soy sauce because I liked the Chinese writing on it, but ended up pouring it down the drain.

Another recommendation:  Kirkland brand (Costco) Balsamic Vinegar.  I don't eat balsamic vinegar straight (I put it in dipping sauce) but my wife does.  She says it's the best balsamic vinegar she's ever tasted (and I've bought her some rather expensive ones).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Thanks. We buy a larger (less expensive) Balsamic for cooking and an smaller (more expensive) bottle for dipping and salads. Will give that one a try.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Fish sauce is supposed to increase the "savoriness" of a dish, but you're not supposed to be able to taste it directly.  Have any tasters compared them with that in mind?  (I use Tiparos, from Thailand, myself)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• I cook a lot of Thai and Vietnamese food and unlike most of you, have learned to love the smell as well as the taste of fish sauce.

A good fish sauce should be clear, not cloudy... It is similar to Olive Oil in that the first pressing is the best.
    There are many excellent brands, but most are hard to find in the western world.

As some have already discovered 3 crabs is the best of the bunch that can be found with relative ease.
    Stay away from Taste of Thai or any other US brand...
  • Fish sauce is supposed to increase the "savoriness" of a dish, but you're not supposed to be able to taste it directly.  Have any tasters compared them with that in mind?  (I use Tiparos, from Thailand, myself)
    That depends on what you are using it for...
    The most common dipping sauces in Thailand and Vietnam are built around the taste of Fish Sauce and Thai Bird Chilies. The taste of fish sauce is prominent.
    Also many of the Vietnamese Clay Pot dishes use fish sauce, caramel and Cocunut water to produce a stew that tastes fantastic and the fish sauce Tate's is very much there.
    Thai and Vietnamese salads also have definitive fish sauce flavor.
  • Tiparos gets the nod in most of the comparisons I've read. Three crabs is the runner up

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    one thing ive noticed with the three crabs is that the price doubled in the last year or so. probably with everyone making the burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    How much do you use for burgers.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I learned to cook Thai food from my friend (and now family member) who came from Thailand around age 10.  His mom taught him, he taught me.  I'll be 35 this year and I have cooked it nonstop since age 18. I use only Tiparos in all of my Thai.  One time I went on a buying spree and bought Squid brand, 3 Crabs, and a few others thinking the premium price might come with premium goods.  I was disappointed with each, but keep in mind this is in THAI food that I've been cooking for 16yrs.  Thats not to say that Americans tastes won't prefer a different brand in American food that is is just used as a seasoning in. And of course, tastes vary.

Frank
  • The Thai golden boy gets good reports also. I generally use chopped anchovies in burgers but I believe most people use a teaspoon or two per pound. You wont taste the sauce but the salt will linger

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Thanks Little Steven, I think I will try
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2012

@FxLynch,

Like you, I was exposed to authentic Thai at a fairly young age. There is no comparison to what is available in restaurants. Even in Toronto, where cultures tend to be kept intact for generations, the stuff I learned back then is better

Steve 

Caledon, ON