Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan with brisket

Options
2»

Comments

• captbunch18
    Options
    In your case above, you set the grate temp for 225 and set the drip pan on the feet on the plate setter. That plate setter is down on the coals basically so I'm sure the heat it is conducting is more indicative of the coal temps....much higher than 225.
    so....is there a way to remedy the situation to keep my drip pan/liquid from being at a higher temp, using the plate setter?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Just use a pan on the feet with no liquid...a lot of people don't even use a pan and just cover their plate setter with heavy duty foil and let whatever happens to the dripping happen...you might be over thinking it a bit much.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    OR get another grid and use Naked Whiz's nuts and bolts method for a second raised grid. Meat on top grid and drip pan on bottom.
  • hogaholic
    Options
    On my long cooks I have never run out of liquid in the drip pan. 

I use cheap aluminum lasagna pans from the local dollar store.  I place a smaller grid that came out of a brinkman smoker and put it on the platesetter, then the drip pan goes on the grid.  Fill about 1/2 with a mixture of water and juice.  Most times there is more liquid in the pan when I am finished than when I started due to all the fat drippings.

I also wrap my platesetter with foil.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • captbunch18
    Options
    going to try one today without a pan and see how it goes......