Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday Brisket for the Wife

tnbarbq
tnbarbq Posts: 248
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just doing a small 2.7 lb brisket today.  Simple rub with Lowerys, garlic salt and black pepper.  Using a chunk of hickory for smoke and Best Choice lump.  This is my first time doing a small brisket.  So far, so good.

[IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/rss1963/Brisket-1.jpg[/IMG]

Scooter 
Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

Comments

• hla
    hla Posts: 6
    tnbarbq,

We have not done a brisket, but want to do it this weekend for Superbowl.  Since its just me and my husband I would like to get a small one about 3 lbs.  Can you tell me what "Pit" temp and "Meat" temp you are using and an approx time?  Thanks
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    250 on dome and cook to 195 to 200 internal, double wrap with foil and towels and throw in cooler for hour or so. Then let sit for a bit before slicing.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    What Chubbs said.  It took about 6 hours to get to 200 internal.  I smoked it for about 3 hours then wrapped it in foil for about 90 minutes.  Then unwrapped it to reset the bark.  Never got any finished pics because we were hungry and it smelled real good!  No leftovers either.   Next time I will smoke a bigger one.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    One important addition:  They're not always done by 195 or even 200, so do what some call the "fork test" and use a big fork or a pick of some sort to make sure it's tender, whatever the temp may be, before you pull it off the Egg.  My last brisket I pulled at 206 and even then there was a small part of it that was pull-able but not as falling-apart tender as the rest of it.  Some things you cook to temperature, but other things you need to poke it and see if it's tender.

Theo