Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers

Bakeman
Bakeman Posts: 113
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Should I use a raised grid to do burgers?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    As with so many other cooks, there are multiple ways to cook burgers on the Egg. I'm sure you could do one on a raised grid, but I don't see why you would want to. Cook it direct, just like you would on any other grill.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I always grill direct.  No problems.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Direct.  Not raised.

Throw a little fish sauce in the HB meat before cooking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

What he said. But I have not broken the seal on my fish sauce yet.....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    raised grid is direct, just not as direct.  distance mellows the brunt of the heat.  so 600 raised is like 400 at grid level (that's an approx.)

go direct, just don't try to do thick burgers over ridiculous heat, or you'll scorch the exterior and leave the interior raw.

i tend to do them at medium temps, a little gentler.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Direct.  Not raised.

VI, can you taste the fish sauce? I am a Lowcountry boy and am a little skeptical, but I trust you.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thanks, Chubbs.  No, you don't taste the fish sauce.  If you did, I'd run as fast away as I could because it smells awful straight from the bottle..  For some reason, fish sauce brings out the savory sensation, known as umami.  It's almost a sixth (or fifth, or seventh, ...whatever) taste.  I add it to a lot of things, like spaghetti, chili, stir fries, etc..  Tonight, I'm making Chilean Empanadas, and I added some to it also.  

Orientals put it in just about every dish that they make.  Even the Romans used it, and they still do in Italy.  It's called colatura there.  It's about $20 for 3 oz.  I bought a bottle and couldn't tell the difference from Three Crabs Brand, which sells for $1.70 for 24 oz. bottle.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Does the fish sauce add a lot of salt to the burger?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Does the fish sauce add a lot of salt to the burger?
    I don't know.  My 3 Crabs bottle doesn't have any nutritional data on it.  Couldn't be much ... I don't add more than a a couple of teaspoons or so to a pound of meat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    How do you put it in the meat. With hands?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• How do you put it in the meat. With hands?
    x2
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Calling Asian people "orientals" is extremely offensive.
    I didn't know that, and I certainly meant no offense.  However, at my age, I couldn't care less about being politically correct.  

Nevertheless, that comment piqued my interest, because it only refers to a person from a certain geographical region.  It is more descriptive than Asian because Asia includes India, most of Russia, Afghanistan, and several more countries, yet Oriental only refers to what we call The Far East.  Upon further study, I found that the term, Oriental, is not considered offensive at all by most people, including Orientals.  However, the term Orientalist is generally considered offensive because it refers to an Occidental person who has a certain mindset.  Admittedly, some North Americans consider it offensive because they still hold an archaic 19th century connotation of the Imperialist Ottoman Empire. Europeans, modern North Americans, and most Asians have advanced their attitudes to the 21st century and find the term Oriental perfectly acceptable.

My comment would have been misleading if I had used the term, Asian, because that would imply that Saudi Arabians use fish sauce in their falafel, which I doubt.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• How do you put it in the meat. With hands?
    That's how I do it.  Politically correct people would probably use a spatula.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830

I've been playing with burgers atop the gas cooktop and cast iron skillet.  Did the ones above couple nights ago.  For a weekday cook, it's quick, easy with good results.  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The word decadent comes to mind.  =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    edited February 2012
     Tom if my stroke Dr. came to the house that is what I would cook him. I like Gary am not PC..........(Tom understand that is if my wife was not at home)

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Tom if my stroke Dr. came to the house that is what I would cook him. I like Gary am not PC..........(Tom understand that is if my wife was not at home)

One of the taste benefits but not health benefits of using the skillet is the mushrooms soak up the burger fat as the burgers cook.   I do the onions first with a little oil and remove when translucent.  Next are the shrooms, then pile them around the burgers when the go in.  After flipping the burgers, then start building the burger.  Once built, onion, shrooms, cheese, then turn off the stove and cover till serving.  

I'm staring to eat 'em as you see 'em, no bun.  A bun adds nothing to flavor and makes 'em harder to eat....eating a burger with a fork......it that to lottie dah-ish,  LOL!

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46

As a new owner, I am a bit confused as to what constitutes "raised"?  I have so far done things such as steaks and chicken breasts and burgers on the standard grill direct and have used the place setter with the feet down, with a pizza stone on top of that for pizza.  Is there a different placement of the grill that is considered "raised"?

• @tdbmd

Go to the Ceramic Grill Store and look at Woo3 and Adjustable Rig.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    VI...loved your comment re asian vs oriental. Best chuckle I had all day!. Also, thanks for web site on fish sauce. Will definitely try the ultimate umami burger.
    Fairview, Texas
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    FWIW, I tried fish sauce in burgers and hated it.  I've heard there are better fish sauces than others, and maybe mine wasn't a good one, but I really didn't like it.  Maybe it was just that I knew it was in it, and did NOT like the smell before it cooked.  But I just wanted to say that not everybody likes it in burgers, though some clearly do.

Theo
  • @Theophan.  How much did you put in to the meat?  You shouldn't taste the fish sauce, it just should add a savory sensation.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Calling Asian people "orientals" is extremely offensive.
    I didn't know that, and I certainly meant no offense.  However, at my age, I couldn't care less about being politically correct.  

Nevertheless, that comment piqued my interest, because it only refers to a person from a certain geographical region.  It is more descriptive than Asian because Asia includes India, most of Russia, Afghanistan, and several more countries, yet Oriental only refers to what we call The Far East.  Upon further study, I found that the term, Oriental, is not considered offensive at all by most people, including Orientals.  However, the term Orientalist is generally considered offensive because it refers to an Occidental person who has a certain mindset.  Admittedly, some North Americans consider it offensive because they still hold an archaic 19th century connotation of the Imperialist Ottoman Empire. Europeans, modern North Americans, and most Asians have advanced their attitudes to the 21st century and find the term Oriental perfectly acceptable.

My comment would have been misleading if I had used the term, Asian, because that would imply that Saudi Arabians use fish sauce in their falafel, which I doubt.
    Bravo, you tackled that in a stike like manor.