Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow today

Options
brad11140
brad11140 Posts: 44
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first low and slow today on a rib eye roast. Have cooked extensively with a Bradley smoker. So this will be my first real smoke. Will let you know how it comes out.

Comments

• brad11140
    Options
    Going well this far. A question regarding the smoking. I soaked my hickory chips in water for a few hours. I put the chips on initially when I put the plate setter in to warm. You get a few minutes of actual smoke than it goes away. Reloading chips is a pain trying to drop them in the sides. I don't really want to move the 10 lbs of meat and grill to get chips in. Is that what I need to do?
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Next time as you are adding your lump to the fire box try strategically placing some chunks up and down throughout the lump. You can use chips dispersed in as well. You need to have the wood available as the fire burns down. As the fire spreads it will be able to find new wood chunks or chips.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • brad11140
    Options
    Alright guys here it is. 5 hours at 225 smoked with hickory. Was fantasticimage
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Chips are good for "I want smoke right now". Long term smoke needs to be chunks. I use both in some situations. Listening what was being said about soaking wood, I have quit. I think the only thing soaking does is slow down when the smoke starts ( by just a few minutes). That's handy sometimes when are loading meat - keeps the smoke out of your eyes.
    Cookin in Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    chips can be long term as long as they are included in the lump, down where the fire is going to be.  they will bide their time until the fire finds them
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • brad11140
    Options
    Personally I would have liked to see more smoke, but the flavor was fantastic. Just enough smoke. Where can I pick up chunks because that is certainly something I am willing to try.
  • Flamethrower
    Options

Living in wine country,We are lucky to have access to Red Wine soaked Oak from the barrels. Wonderful smoke,Not like hickory and mesquite. Put in dry. Remember you can always add smoke,But cant take it out.Sometimes it can be to much

LET'S EAT