Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I use BGE pizza stone with CGS Spider??

tmackie
tmackie Posts: 67
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to order some drip pans from the Ceramic Grill Store and I am thinking about ordering the Spider for closer searing and an alternative to the platesetter using the 14" BGE pizza stone. Does anyone use this combo? Any issues??

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Check with CGS about the 14" pizza stone fitting the spider, that may not fit. I know people use a 13" cast iron grate for searing on the spider.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    CGS specifically says not to use the BGE 14" stone in the spider...get the 13" for use in the spider for doing indirect. The 14" could be used higher up as the stone to cook pizza on, but not as heat block in indirect cooking. The 14" doesn't allow enough space for airflow around it and the side of the egg...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I'll add the the adjustable rig with the spider and a couple stones, while more expensive than a plate setter, is much more versatile. I didn't even consider a plate setter once I saw the CGS stuff.
  • tmackie
    Thanks for all the help! I was trying to save a few $ since I already had the BGE stone. 

Getting a BGE is like buying an iPhone or iPad: the unit itself is just the start. I have already bought a dozen accessories in the first month!

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2012
    What size Egg?
    I have essentially that combo, but I have an XL.  I got the CGS spider & stone combo.  I use the stone in lieu of a platesetter.  For the XL, the stone is about 17"
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Yeah.....didn't think about size. the info I gave was for a large...
  • tmackie
    I'm sorry.... I have a Large BGE. The word is that the 14" BGE Pizza Stone is too big for the Large Spider and that a need something smaller like 12"
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Just get the 13" one they sell for it at CGS. That's the exact size they recommend for the large spider.
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    edited January 2012
    I use the BGE pizza stone on my spider for my indirect setup on my Large Egg, but I rarely do indirect or low n slow without my stoker on there.

Spider in the down position with the BGE stone is about 1" or so gap all the way around.  I would think that is enough airlfow????  I can measure my stone to make sure what size it is when I get home today.
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I may work ez, but it it clearly not recommended by CGS on their site for reasons of restricted air flow.
  • tjvQuote
    I prefer to use BGE's 14 inch stone on the Spider. The 14 inch stone will fit both the original and 2008 Spider. Likewise, BGE's 12 inch stone fits both Spiders too.

The only real reason to use a stone on the spider is with multi-grid cooks. For one grid cooks, it is easiest to use the Rig's lowest bracket setting, level 1.5, to hold your indirect piece. The indirect piece can be a stone, pan, or stone/pan combo. I'm lazy and usually use a pan. I like this set-up as it provides good spacing between the lump, indirect piece and grid. Plus, it provides easy access to the lump.

BGE's medium cast iron grid, 15CI, will only fit the original Spider. BGE's small cast iron grid, 13CI, will fit both Spiders.

Now that it's as clear as mud, I'm heading to the frig for a beer. T
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2012
    3littleribs, while at the fridge grab me a beer too and a frosted mug out of the freezer, please.   

Several years ago the spider and related set-ups went through a modification because the ID of the large firebox shrunk about 3/8".  So without rehashing old news, today's simple answer is:  the 13" stone is recommended for use on the spider, as it provides at least 1" of open area between the stone edge and inside wall of the fire ring.  

Folks had problems maintaining temperature using BGE's 14" stone on the spider with the new firebox.  That's why we don't recommend the 14" stone with the spider now.

The 13", 14", and 13"x17" oval stones can be used above the fire ring, on the rig or woo.  If you are doing a one grid cook, we recommend putting the stone above the fire ring for better air flow and convenience getting to the lump.

Hey 3little, I could use another beer and frosted mug.....thanks        
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • T, I sincerly apologize for my above post. I should have used the quote option and added some of my own personal comments instead of just a copy and paste of an old post of yours, again I'm truly sorry.My intention was only to help the OP with the same problem I faced when trying to decide between my 14 inch BGE stone and the 13 inch that you now recommend.When I was trying to decide I searched the forum, posted questions about the excact changes the large egg went through in 2008 (and when), and even called and talked to you personally. In the end I decided just to use my 14 inch stone which I already had instead of buying a new 13 inch one. One of the deciding factors of my choice was this post of yours from June of 2008 which post dated my egg by several month's (mine was purchased in April 2008) which is the only reason I used it in my above post. I'm still not sure whether or not I have a new or old style firebox/firering(I think it's the new), but I personally have used a 14 inch Dutch oven, the lid from that 14 inch dutch oven as an indirect piece, and the BGE 14 inch stone as an indirect piece on the new style spider and have not had airflow/temperture problems. Once again I apologize for the way I used your post, it was wrong and I'm sorry,I have the greatest respect for your products and knowledge and I hope there are no hard feelings.

Hey T, I would be happy to buy you a beer anytime

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    no apology needed, just playing with ya a little......on your fire ring, check the inside diameter at multiple spots. if the measurements are all 16" +/- 1/8", then it's the old version.  if any of the measurements are close to 15-5/8" +/- 1/8", then it's the new version.  need to check mutliple spots as most fire rings are not true round...thanks for the positive comments on our products and knowledge....

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Tom, Thanks for the info, I know what I have works but now I'm really curious about what version I have... I think I'll break out the tape measure tomorrow when its light and find out for sure...after that since it will be open, I might as well put a fire in it and do a cook....I'm thinking Wings

Thanks again..