Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Brisket Questions

Options
bdub60
bdub60 Posts: 31
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

First of all, new to the BGE and this forum and so far really like them both.  BGE is awesome, if I'm not cooking on it I'm thinking about what I'll be cooking on it next!  This forum is so helpful.  Tons of great info and appreciate all the vets' willingness to help out the rookies.

I did my first BGE brisket over the weekend and had a couple of questions.  I smoked a 12 pound whole brisket and kept my dome temp at 250 throught (a hair above and hair below at times).  First of all it seemed like my brisket went through the "stall" rather quickly.  Didn't notice a real big stall through the 150-170 range but then it held around 180 for about four hours.  Also, I got to 195 in about 15 hours rather than the 20 or so I expected from reading threads on here.  Normal variance?  Is the stall more of a "taking a long time to get through that 20-30 degree zone" kind of thing rather than sitting at a specific temp for a long time?  Also, I did check my thermo in boiling water and if it's off it can't be by more than a couple degrees.

Guns Up! Roll Tide!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The stall or plateau is not a defined temperature but is  determined by the characteristics of the specific piece of meat. That said, it is well worth checking your dome thermometer in boiling water. Even moreso if you have an older BGE (Before the Tel-Tru) was standard.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Plus, your times may be off slightly on what you expected. Brisket takes closer to 1-1.5 hrs/lb when cooked at that temp. I would be more concerned with a 12lb brisket taking 20 hrs.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

were you happy with the results?   if not, what was missing?

I did a 10 lb, 18 hours over the weekend, had trouble picking it up off the grill without it falling apart.   Not an experienced veteran by any means.   Have cooked several over the years on other smokers - this was the first one that actually worked.   Someone on here pointed me to playing with fire and smoke website, was great guidance.

I have cooked alot of butts, so from that perspective have found that there is no normal stall time.   Will vary based on the piece of meat - but overall - averages for total cook time seem to even out.

I use a Maverick, so I am constantly seeing the temps of both the grill and the internal.  Found that very helpful is seeing the stall and after it comes out.

Now, will make a statement, and please those that know more than I step in and correct me.   I am thinking the most important thing with either a brisket or a butt is to hold the temp low, till after movement starts up AFTER the stall.   After the stall, you can dial up the heat and finish faster.    Is that a valid perspective?

Cookin in Texas