Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs

Options
PasadenaJacket
PasadenaJacket Posts: 7
edited January 2012 in Poultry
Sorry, I've checked around and didn't find an answer to my (newbie) question.

I've now cooked chicken thighs twice on the egg. Once, with the plate setter and drip pan, temp about 425.  They worked okay, but the skin was not very crispy.  The second time, I cooked without the plate setter and drip pan, same temp about, but, predictably, too much smoke.

Is there some compromise of crisping up the skin without yielding a boatload of smoke?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Options
    I cook mine at 350 dome temp. My wife likes very little smoke and I have found the the lump gives just enough smoke. I cook them indirect with the plate setter with alum.foil over it and no drip pan. Turns out moist and crispy.
    LET'S EAT
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited January 2012
    Options

i cook chicken direct with raised grid, at 350. i leave the daisy wheel off and only control with the bottom vent. seems to keep the burnt chicken fat smell out of the meat, and smells up the neighborhood.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• captbunch18
    Options
    stupid question, but what is a raised grid?
  • stevesails
    Options
    I raise mine with three cement spacers to bring the grid to the felt line
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sorry, I've checked around and didn't find an answer to my (newbie) question.

I've now cooked chicken thighs twice on the egg. Once, with the plate setter and drip pan, temp about 425.  They worked okay, but the skin was not very crispy.  The second time, I cooked without the plate setter and drip pan, same temp about, but, predictably, too much smoke.

Is there some compromise of crisping up the skin without yielding a boatload of smoke?

Thanks a bunch!
    You can sprinkle on a very light coating of cornstarch after your rub or seasonings. Use a couple of sieves to apply and brush any areas of heavy buildup with a pastry brush. Use a lower temp say 350 and if any white areas are there after the fat starts to render, spray with some olive oil or Pam.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PasadenaJacket
    Options
    Thanks all, sounds like good advice!
  • OTMike
    Options
    Totally agree with Little Steven, go cornstarch or lightly brushed with evoo. go direct heat for the last 5-7 minutes
  • Baysidebob
    Options

I go direct on the top of an adjustable rig.  I always get crispy skin.  Another thing to consider is: how old is the chicken?  Really big pieces mean a retired layer with leather skin no matter what you do.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • bigearl
    bigearl Posts: 25
    Options
    How long do you guys cook?
    huh?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    400 to 450 direct on a raised grid, 15 minutes to a side.

Darn it, I have never taken a photo of chicken thighs, but here are some turkey thighs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    This is how I do mine

imageimage

I use fire bricks to bring it up
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400 to 450 direct on a raised grid, 15 minutes to a side.

Darn it, I have never taken a photo of chicken thighs, but here are some turkey thighs.

Same except top of adj rig. I find 3.5 lb chickens. Direct.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    stupid question, but what is a raised grid?

Not stupid at all! Raising the grid can be accomplished several different ways. This is how I do it:

Chicken Wings on The Big Green Egg
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.