Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking multiple briskets for superbowl

Options
captbunch18
captbunch18 Posts: 23
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
suggestions needed.....

I am having 20 people or so over for a super bowl party and wanted to do brisket.  I know I need to do two briskets, but dont think they will fit on my Large BGE.  I dont want to stack them as the top of the dome is hotter and they will cook at different temps.  I can make them fit if I cut off the point prior to cooking.  Never done that, will it affect my cook time/process?

Comments

• Ironhead404
    Options
    Hay Capt! 2 whole briskets should fit! raw ya know there a little bigger...when they hit the heat and start cooking ya going to loose that size about 25%...back in the day i used to put 2 9lb boston butt's on my mediem I just could close the lid......So if ya can close the lid side by side it will work! just do one thing for me every 3 hr's do a half turn with the grate to make sure they cook even.....Knock it out the park! I'm doing 2 whole packer's myself will send ya pic's on Super Bowl Sun! hahahaahh

• captbunch18
    Options
    wow...i could barely get one to fit.  It was touching the sides of the lid when i shut it.  i cant believe i will be able to get two to shut
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    If you are only cooking brisket for 20 and having sides you will need roughly 7lbs of cooked brisket (assuming 1/3lb meat per person). This means you only need to start with about 14lbs of raw brisket. If you can find a few smaller briskets, you should be able to turn one the opposite direction, snug them close and get them to fit. Either that or get 1 monster brisket and just cook it.
  • ChanningJohnson
    Options
    If you can cook one above the other you could do that and then just switch them in the middle of the cook so they'll be ready at the same time. Or since one will inevitably be bigger than the other and cook for a different amount of time anyway you can coordinate that way. And if one is done before the other I guess it doesn't matter if you're putting them on in time for them to rest for a few hours. 
  • captbunch18
    Options
    If you are only cooking brisket for 20 and having sides you will need roughly 7lbs of cooked brisket (assuming 1/3lb meat per person). This means you only need to start with about 14lbs of raw brisket. If you can find a few smaller briskets, you should be able to turn one the opposite direction, snug them close and get them to fit. Either that or get 1 monster brisket and just cook it.
    ok...that makes sense.  turning them opposite directions is a good idea. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Just buy another egg....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

you know Chubbs, I am thinking about that.

Cookin in Texas