Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SINGED!!!!!

Options
genwmull
genwmull Posts: 61
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading a lot on this forum and have heard about the flashback.  Didn't believe it until it happened to me last night.  WOW got most of the hair on my forearm.  Those steaks were worth it though.

I have heard of burping the egg and that you shouldn't.  What is the best way to limit the flashback while cooking at high temps.  I plan on doing a pizza in a few weeks and know that the cooking temp will be higher than what I was using for the steaks when I got the flashback.  Don't really want to get my eyebrows next time.
Large BGE Dyersburg TN

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Options
    It only takes a couple of seconds to burp the egg. Hair on ur arms and possibly ur face will be gone in only a flash. I learned my lesson a long time ago. I always burp !!!

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • hsh750
    hsh750 Posts: 30
    Options
    Have not heard that you should not burp! I had a bad flashback the only time I did not burp.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Eyebrows are over-rated...  :P

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Always burp!  I don't know who would tell you not to???
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jmsmrdk
    jmsmrdk Posts: 87
    Options
    if you're cooking wide open on the top and pretty big on the bottom like i do for pizza you'll have enough airflow to not worry about it.  even at lower temps if you open things up before you lift the lid you shouldn't get flashback.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Always burp when running 400+. ALWAYS......  Just do it and be safe.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'm the one that says don't burp.  Burping can damage your gasket.  I open the vents, allow the accumulated gases to burn off and then slowly open the lid.  Those mini-flashbacks that occur when burping are real hot and will damage the BGE gaskets. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • genwmull
    Options
    I didn't want to call names but thanks for the backup The Naked Whiz.

@jmsmrdk - That makes sense. Thanks.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • smokinsooner
    Options
    Eyebrows are over-rated...  :P
    BOOMER!
  • smokinsooner
    Options
    So are nose hairs.
    BOOMER!
  • rib rangler
    Options
    i wont forget the first time i didnt burp. ten yrs ago, still trying to grow hair back!!!
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    The only time I have actually had flash was when I had the temperature get a little too hot and I restricted the vents a little then thought I needed to look at meat.  Other than that time I have never seen it flash.

Gerhard
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Naked Whiz, so what is your process, you open the vents, then check what your cooking. How do you re-set the vents back to where they were? Wondering if there is going to be either an increase or decrease in the temp after this. TIA.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I usually only worry about flashback when I've closed the vents after a really hot cook, the classic BGE steak method of sear and dwell.  So the vents were closed shut when I wanted to lift the lid.  I open them up for 15 seconds or so, then slowly lift the lid.  I wouldn't be worried about this for 350-450 degree cooks or lower.  But if I do this when the vents weren't closed, I just set them back where they were when I close the dome.
    The Naked Whiz
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Gotta Ya.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    I usually only worry about flashback when I've closed the vents after a really hot cook, the classic BGE steak method of sear and dwell.  So the vents were closed shut when I wanted to lift the lid.  I open them up for 15 seconds or so, then slowly lift the lid.  I wouldn't be worried about this for 350-450 degree cooks or lower.  But if I do this when the vents weren't closed, I just set them back where they were when I close the dome.
    x100!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I usually only worry about flashback when I've closed the vents after a really hot cook, the classic BGE steak method of sear and dwell.  So the vents were closed shut when I wanted to lift the lid.  I open them up for 15 seconds or so, then slowly lift the lid. 
    Rather than shut all the way down during the dwell, I've started leaving the vents open a small amount, about a 1/4" inch on the bottom vent and the daisy wheel holes mostly open.  Gives the VOC and smoke a chance to escape instead of being absorbed by the meat and doesn't add much new heat.  Any comments on this approach?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Rather than shut all the way down during the dwell, I've started leaving the vents open a small amount, about a 1/4" inch on the bottom vent and the daisy wheel holes mostly open.  Gives the VOC and smoke a chance to escape instead of being absorbed by the meat and doesn't add much new heat.  Any comments on this approach?
    Good approach.  I would never shut the top vent during a cook for any reason (unless I'm done with my cook and I want to extinguish the lump).  With the top vent closed, all the stale smoke and whatever else is produced will "fall" back down on your meat and ugly it up - yuck!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Good approach.  I would never shut the top vent during a cook for any reason (unless I'm done with my cook and I want to extinguish the lump).  With the top vent closed, all the stale smoke and whatever else is produced will "fall" back down on your meat and ugly it up - yuck!

Couldn't agree more .....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • tjp1060
    Options

Couldn't agree more .....
    Hmmm....Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip. I will do tha next time.