Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg cooks hotter on back half

Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,561
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
It seems that the back half of my Large Egg cooks hotter than the front. Not enough to ruin my cooks but enough to notice it.

Charcoal distribution is even and I light it right in the top middle of the lump. Also, flames up much more in the rear half.  I can't figure it out, any ideas?

Maybe an oxygen issue? Egg seems to be seated properly (top to bottom) all the way around when closed.

Thanks.
XL,L,S 
Winston-Salem, NC 
·

Comments

• I've noticed the same thing.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Its normal.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,456
    Yes, I noticed the same thing after my first few cooks. One thing that helps a little is to leave a small pile of ash at the back under the grate. That seems to slow or divert the flow of air from the front bottom vent toward the back of the Egg.
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,561
    Thanks gdenby, I will try that. Good idea.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
    i was having the same problem, so i just turned mine around.  ;)
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,230

Known fact due to the air flow with the front vent...read where it was suggested to make sure one of the platesetter legs is always 180* from the front vent to help reduce the imbalance. I routinely set up that way and will have to try gdenby's suggestion as well.

Louisville
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    I always position my cooks to use that to an advantage. Poultry legs to rear, meat thicker part to rear etc. Pizza rotate 180* halfway and so on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,561
    Thanks for the info. I really noticed it last night when I loaded it up (to the max) with wings.  There was a clear difference in the temp of the wings front to back.  Cooked raised direct at 375 dome. It was disappointing.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2012

Yes, the draft in the Egg will tend to drift to the rear of the Egg, we counter that action and light our fires in the front half the charcoal bed. This will the natural woft take the fire across the middle of the Egg for more balance.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·